Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Or this one LMAO

The Barbie movie is going to rule so hard, I donā€™t think America is ready. Iā€™m calling it now: Gerwig will sweep the Academy Awards.

2 Likes

That new trailer :astonished::astonished::astonished:

This movie will easily crack $1 billion.

Soā€¦

Im not getting it. It doesnt look interesting, fun, entertaining, or brilliant. I dont understand this unreal hype. Can somebody explain what im missing?

2 Likes

3 Likes

You didnā€™t play with Barbie??

The movie is based on the FBI interrogation transcript of American intelligence leaker Reality Winner.

This was great. Loved how they represented the redacted parts of the recording.

Not sure about this but I would shovel money onto the ā€œit will be good at leastā€ side given its Gerwig. Every film she has made has been outstanding.

1 Like

I liked all her movies but didnā€™t watch Little Women. Iā€™m sure its good, but I was bored with Little Women 30 years ago.

Yeah Iā€™m not getting the love for a damn Barbie movie, maybe itā€™ll be fine but that is not something that gets me excited at all.

Itā€™s one of my favourite films of the last few years. Highly recommend a watch.

Itā€™s an immediate subversion of patriarchy.

Not men, but those who invest in patriarchal ideals.

For anyone who does not feel compelled to support that status quo, the trailer alone is quite an experience.

Within a couple of minutes, the audience is led to feel identification and fulfillment with the perfect manifestation of Barbie in a Barbie world. Itā€™s what we always dreamed it could be because itā€™s what we were sold and what we bought.

But then we are reminded that those fantasies are not ā€œus.ā€ They are the dreams that were assigned to us and force fed to us. We feel full, and yet suddenly understand what real food is. And itā€™s not what a group of entitled old white dudes led by Will Ferrell tell us it is.

We are not happy simply fulfilling the role the patriarchy tells us is the best we can be if we will just follow their instructions for HOW to be.

Barbie pushes back against the very things that make us first see her as the ultimate Woman. She finds unexpected allies (Ken) and maybe some unexpected foes.

She makes liberation feel joyful.

Hopefully the movie delivers :blush:

4 Likes

Totally agree except for Gerwig being attached. There is no way she makes some low-calorie slockfest. She is maybe the most feminist filmmaker working today.

People in post-pandemic/post-Trump America want a big dumb colorful movie with the sexiest humans on Earth goofing around. Why arenā€™t movies colorful anymore. This Little Mermaid movie looks like this bland blueish soup.

Its the best screen adaptation of the book by a mile, and I enjoyed the 90s version a lot.

Post-Christian America is desperate for new ways to find meaning in life and why shouldnā€™t it be Barbie or a basketball shoe?

I can see how all this makes sense, but my main question is whether or not it will be entertaining.

Thats obviously not an end all be all for a movie. There are some incredible movies that arent entertaining, like Schindlerā€™s List, but 99 times out of 100, the main thing im looking for in a movie is to be entertained.

Speaking of movies that arent entertaining, it turns out Silver Linings Playbook is on that 250 movies to watch poster my wife bought so I will need to watch it again soon. I will update my previous screed I posted upthread after I have done so. I do not have high hopes it will change for the better.

1 Like

I had the same question from the first Barbie trailer.

I thought LOL who the **** is the target audience for this movie?

Is the ā€œBarbieā€ world even going to be the main movie? Or was that just a fun teaser trailer dynamic? The 50 ft tall Margot Robbie/Barbie visual was very confusing.

But the new trailer reveals the actual plot.

Barbie lives in an alternate universe until her ā€œawakeningā€ spoils the fundamental laws of that universe. Things start malfunctioning, that old Barbie magic is weakening, and the only way to fix everythingā€¦is to go to the ā€œrealā€ world (the one we live in) and confront her makers.

In the hands of anyone else, Iā€™d be worried. But with Greta Gerwig?

Bring it.

raw

Does not compute

1 Like