Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

hbomax is re-highlighting the Tina Turner documentary movie, if you have not seen it, it’s really good

2 Likes
2 Likes

What? Oh, you mean on Max.

1 Like

Home box office?

Is that like a raspberry pi or?

wrong

1 Like

I need a quick recommendation for a stupid entertaining movie to get comfortably drunk to and fall asleep instead of crying myself to sleep over a poker hand.

1 Like

Bad Trip if you like Eric Andre,

1 Like

Going to watch this tonight. Is there anyplace free to watch(not that i can find)?

Don’t think it’s free but you can rent it on prime. I hope I didn’t oversell it but I do think it looks amazing.

Dungeons and Dragons, maybe? It’s certainly not great - we had to run it twice to finish it - but it’s funny and the monsters look good.

2 Likes

It’s 2.99 so not really much of a loss if I don’t like it but something like this I will probably like.

D&D was fantastic, I watched it twice actually.

1 Like

Good lord this movie I laughed so hard :+1:

Produced by same director as Zombieland, which would also be excellent to pass out watching.

1 Like

I thought this was full of good moments but pretty bad as a movie–until the last twenty minutes or so when I realized I was all in and having a great time.

I saw the 2000 one with Thora Birch in theaters when it came out. So good. But neither that one or the new one really compare to the D&D stuff from Stranger Things.

It took a movie to make a group with a bard work and not feeling you wasted a slot. Oh yeah and get lost with those wild mages. Next time just take me, an assassin, slayer of Sarevok and all the other childs of Bhaal. Enjoyed the movie. Feels like Hugh Grant gets a lot of roles in these popcorn movies like Operation Fortune and D&D recently. Somehow I remember him only in romances or soft comedies.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Ebonyteach/status/1660804154535600132

This is the author of The Dark Fantastic.

I use her book every time I teach a class on how to write sci-fi/fantasy.

1 Like

There’s a whole play without the protagonist even appearing on the stage.

And they gave three one-act plays.

One of them was a play by…

I always thought it was by John Reed and Louise Bryant.

But I see it’s by her.

They were in it.

The play was terrible,

and they were worse.

Just caught Long Shot on HBO. Came out a few years ago and I had seen it before, but was working, had it on, and it’s a pretty enjoyable rom-com.

Nothing groundbreaking. Seth Rogen being typical Seth Rogen schlub and way out kicks his coverage with Charlize Theron. He’s a hyper-liberal journalist, she’s an idealistic Secretary of State who used to be his babysitter. She hires him as a speech writer when they run into each other after having not seen each other in 25 years. You can guess how it goes from there, but it’s cute.

2 Likes

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_machine_2023

I learned about this movie by listening to a podcast with Kevin Smith as the guest.

There’s no chance this is my bag of popcorn, but if you’re into weird movies starring Luke Skywalker as an elder father…

1 Like

There is no project Mark Hamill is involved with that doesn’t slap. Movies, TV, games, cartoons, etc. etc.

2 Likes