Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

I tried to watch the Notebook last night. Couldn’t do it. When he jumped on the ferris wheel I was wavering. So many easy ways to get them to meet, why make it so ridiculous? Then when he said I thought you were a freak I was out.

There was a rumor for a while that the Jack Nicholson character is based off the author of the Notebook.

Thinking about it some more, the guy is just a disrespectful asshole. She’s on a date with another guy and he just jumps right in between them.

That’s like a move a bully would make in an 80s teen movie.

You saw her and were instantly smitten? Great. Show some tact and creativity.

2 Likes
1 Like

Criterion Channel just picked up the complete Infernal Affairs trilogy! Dammit, I am never going to get caught up with Succession, too many movies on my plate.

Looks epic…ally boring

2 Likes
2 Likes

lol. I’m with you. I love his earlier movies but found part one a total bore. Hoping for more from this part but not confident.

I’m pumped for it, I really liked part 1.

6 Likes

I only watched like the first maybe 20 minutes of part 1 or so before I turned it off. Not sure if it was boring or not but I just couln’t get into to it. :man_shrugging:

I remember thinking that I’d give it another try another time but I haven’t yet.

1 Like

It’s like the most visually stunning experience of watching paint dry I’ve ever had.

By one of the greatest living directors of cinema.

I think this is objectively the best adaptation we will ever have of Dune for the movie format. It’s just not to my taste.

5 Likes

I’m already hyped for Dune: Messiah, where they bring back my boy Momoa LETS GOOOOOOOOO

1 Like

I’m with you. Actually I loved it. What am I missing here?

Nothing. I’m as excited for this as I was for part 2 of the Lord of the Rings to come out. Very high praise from me.

2 Likes

https://movieweb.com/best-70s-movies-according-to-siskel-ebert-ranked/

Is it e-dem os for me to be watching The Bridges of Madison County?

https://twitter.com/ScottGustin/status/1654462469648052225?t=9VCPrwQFOC6KkSZgxTE5Ow&s=19

2 Likes

This looks creepy af

Rye Lane (2023)

A modern Before Sunset which is high praise. Like that film, this is a a brisk, smart, funny 90 minute meet cute cantered on two great characters you root for.

The kind of film we need more of.

Grade: A

rewatched this one (as the only Johnnie To movie available on my streaming services) and I have to amend my previous review. Since this is about how the police are both a very brutal gang and the most incompetent one, having what could be very tense suspense moments covered by (what sounds to me as) pseudo-romantic elevator music is actually pretty great at highlighting the absurdity of it all. (no idea if this is on purpose though). A+ movie.

Also went to see the latest Kelly Reichardt movie Showing up (Michelle Williams as a grumpy artist struggling to balance the troubles of daily life with her upcoming show). I think someone itt said they’d like to see more movies with a small scale, and KR is the queen of this kind of movies, hyperfocusing on the small gestures of life. Sometimes the stakes are still high due to the (for instance historical) specific setting, here this might be her most low stakes movie (tied with Old Joy), but still great. Another minimalist banger from one of the very best currently active directors.

1 Like