Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

I’m angry now and I haven’t seen the film!

3 Likes

Also, this is absolute bullshit. Some of the most inspiring scenes in this movie come from cultural divides being shattered effortlessly. Honestly, I was amazed. There’s a scene where an Ohio Boomer and a young Chinese worker are out fishing on the river, and they get along despite enormous language barriers. One of the Dayton guys invites Chinese co-workers over to his place to fire off some handguns. The only insurmountable divide in this movie is between the US/Chinese workers and their corporate overlords.

2 Likes

This is like describing The Jungle as being “not a particularly angry book.” For real, I defy anyone anyone to watch this movie and not get furious.

Three Billboards is great. Still can’t believe Shape of Water won best picture over it. Frances easily deserved her oscar for it though.

2 Likes

Watched it. Good film. My takeaway is that everything sucks and we’re doomed. The Chairman’s minute of reflecting on his youth was interesting. Factories suck.

Only made it 30 mins will finish tomorrow but the guy that seems to be the lead for the American side rubbing me the wrong way, just stopped after he made the “this is one of The most important projects in American history” comment

3 Likes

idk if this belongs in Movies or Streaming since it’s a Netflix production but is going to theaters fist for a limited run. Anyway, there’s a movie coming out this fall about Jimmy Hoffa, directed by Scorsese, starring De Niro, Pacino and Pesci. Seems like something that can’t possibly live up to expectations.

1 Like

Spielberg would be mad at you for posting a Netflix movie in a movie thread. No one else would be.

Keep in mind that the last time Pacino and De Niro teamed up together it was pretty awful

1 Like

True but only because the movie itself sucked. Great acting will only take you so far when the script is shit.

True, I hope it’s good, but I can already see they did the de-aging CGI thing to make them look younger in certain scenes, I can’t take that shit seriously for a true period film.

lol @

Can’t imagine it won’t suffer a bit because of their age. They are 76, 76, and 79 years old.

Jimmy Hoffa died when he was 62. Frank Sheeran was 55 when Jimmy Hoffa died.

Remember that time he retired from acting to be a rapper? Anyway this looks like it might be good

https://twitter.com/jokermovie/status/1166742248949551104?s=21

Way way early but possible early grumblings of that winning best actor oscar. Which if the movie turns on to be good wouldn’t be crazy since Joaquin Phoenix has yet to win an oscar.

Leads to a good bit of oscar trivia. Two different actors winning an oscar for portraying the same character has happened before. What are the actors and character?

Dumbledore

Never been able to get into comic books, but gonna have to give props to whoever created the Joker based on how many different actors have been able to turn in amazing performances as that character.

I always liked Richard Harris as Dumbledore. Michael Gambon was fine, but I thought Harris captured Dumbledore more as I saw him. Looking at Harris’s IMDb page he was nominated for an oscar in 64, and again in 91. But alas didnt win either time.

anyways answer

Brando and Deniro for Vito Corleone

Come at me, Pentangeli and Roth were way better acted than young mumbling Vito

1 Like

My sole claim to a brush with cool celebs is when I found myself sitting next to Richard Harris on a bench in the West End one summer’s night back in the 90s after a long session, and shared a bottle of wine with him. Or he shared his bottle of wine with me. It’s hard to remember all the details.

1 Like