Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

1 Like

So happy for EEAAO well deserved!

4 Likes

https://medium.com/translating-everything/how-do-critics-remember-chris-rock-hosting-the-2016-oscars-91f8e69e5040?sk=f57f4e620263e062f3dec0f87dde1894

I find movies all the time by seeing it on a other screen. Two this trip to India. And yes, it’s usually finding the lead actress interesting.

Apparently the EEAAO director grew up here in Birmingham and went to same public schools for elementary and middle school that I did and my kids do now. He gave a shoutout to some of the teachers here, one that taught music at the middle school and I knew the teachers son as as the teacher and my brother roomed with his younger son at Alabama after being friends in HS.

The madame George he referred to was mother of a girl I graduated with and worked with at a restaurant here in town, her and my sister are still good friends and apparently her mom taught French at Daniel’s high school. Quite cool.

6 Likes

Incredible capstone on a long-ass career making brilliant movies. Yeoh would still be remembered today if only for her legendary Hong Kong kung-fu and wirework movie performances. Then there was the absolute masterpiece Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, which was supposed to be her “I’m too old for this” swan song some twenty years ago!

1 Like

We ordered Showtime via Prime on a 7-day free trial just so we could watch EEAAO before the Oscars. I’m so glad we did. It kind of stalled a bit in the middle I think? But the last quarter more than made up for it. What a story, just brilliant, and brilliantly told. F the haters. I voted Banshees before I saw it but it’s the superior film easily.

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/saraschaefer1/status/1635439226761412608

3 Likes

Twitter streaming video is such absolute ass. If it fucks up once it stays that way no matter how many times you rewatch it.

1 Like

Rewatching John Wick in anticipation of John Wick 4. It always amuses me Alfie Allen is responsible for two of the biggest fuck ups in popular series in recent history (sacking Winterfell, and killing John Wick’s dog)

2 Likes

An Injustice published a new piece by me covering the Oscar-winning movie Women Talking.

https://aninjusticemag.com/explaining-the-ending-of-women-talking-229f4e1e56a7?sk=d16fdee061a604211f864ec926b8c8bc

The movie is a fictionalized account of a true story.

In the movie, the women chose to leave. But in the real world, they chose to stay.

They chose, in one of the harshest slights of the movie, to do nothing.

But that doesn’t mean nothing happened.

February 2023 marked ten years since Jean Friedman-Rudovsky uncovered the true story of bizarre sexual violations in the isolated Mennonite community. She lived with one of the family’s for two weeks. She wrote coverage of the rapes and the trial for The Christian Science Monitor and Time Magazine.

Then she saw the story get turned into first a book, then a movie.

Friedman-Rudovsky questions Polley’s decision not to more explicitly base the film on the real-life story.

“I understand that artistic decision . . . [but] there’s also something that’s lost, and I think what’s lost is the public understanding that these are real things that happened to real people,” she says. “For there to not be an acknowledgment in the film that this is based on what happened to real women, I just wonder what women in the colony would think of that.”

6 Likes

re: Women Talking

I thought the ending was ridiculous, because the viewer is forced to suspend disbelief and accept that not one man (other than the drunken, abusive husband) realized his wife spent time packing up to leave and then took their wagon, horses, daughters and small boys to go join the caravan.

Don’t think that could possibly have happened within the timeline of events in the movie or book. Maybe I am the one who needs to watch the final ten minutes again tho :face_with_monocle:

Great piece! I loved this movie.

Lol me I didn’t realize you were a woman. I thought sky was our only woman.

1 Like

One of the few and thus the invisible lol but it’s not so bad

2 Likes

There is another, though I am saddened to say that my memory is shit and I cant remember who, only that she is married to another member… who I also cant remember.

1 Like

Bigoldnit

2 Likes

Nice I overestimated our cis male dominance! Typical cis male thing to do. :joy:

Thats it

Confirmed: Female
Not confirmed: Married to another member here

4 Likes