Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

No one was ever making a movie with visual effects that good in the 80’s except Industrial Light and Magic, and they were busy making Willow.

3 Likes

I think when they expanded to 10 Best Picture nominees they explicitly said it was to include popular movies that weren’t typical “academy” films.

It’s an attempt to remain relevant to the many many people who do not care about “Triangle of Sadness” and are never going to see those movies.

1 Like

Nonsense. In fact John Boorman’s legendary Excalibur (1981) began as an unfinished adaptation of Lord of the Rings.

The funny thing is that Boorman started off wanting to make a Merlin movie. United Artists said LOL that’s too expensive, why not make a Lord of the Rings saga instead??

JRR Tolkien himself contacted Boorman to say dude, don’t fuck this up. The worst thing you could do is produce some animated Disney shit.

Boorman said don’t worry, this will be a live-action EPIC.

Well…

Then there was stuff like Ridley Scott’s Legend that looks just about as good as I’d want an 80s LotR live-action movie to look.

https://hips.hearstapps.com/digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/15/39/movies-tim-curry-legend-1985.jpg?resize=480:*

1 Like
2 Likes

Another Oscar snub.

3 Likes

Idk if this should be in the Vegas thread but this is a damn fine crime thriller that is relentlessly paced and full of nostalgia for anyone who’s spent real time in Vegas.

A dangerous social experiment performed by a reckless YouTuber and his crew exposes human sex trafficking in Las Vegas.

Low budget and filmed on the ground. If you’ve explored Vegas beyond the strip (even moreso if you’re a local), you will recognize pretty much every visible inch of location footage.

Streaming now everywhere, including Prime (without ads) and Tubi (with ads).

1 Like

If you’re interested in an engaging Las Vegas-based film, may I interest you in an award-winning screenplay for, say, $10,000?

3 Likes

Awards, you say? Like “Best Screenplay” at Sundance?

1 Like

First place at the Nevada Film Festival and an Honorable Mention at the Las Vegas Film Festival.

1 Like

lol I just searched for that thread and there you are!

1 Like

I offered to fund that guy’s movie! He didn’t bite.

The Fabelmans

I’m absolutely dumbfounded as to why this has so much critical acclaim. Is it because of all of the talent involved that people think that they have to think that the resulting product will be good? Because it’s most definitely not.

The last half in particular is an absolute barrage of stupid unrealistic scenes I’ve seen in a Best Picture in quite some time.

This fucking thing got 7 Oscar nominations. SEVEN. One of them for Supporting Actor where the dude is in the movie for 5 minutes. I’m not even sure I’m exaggerating. It’s definitely less than 10. He arrives, is in 2 scenes, and then leaves. And that’s probably one of the most deserving nominations this film got.

Just a self-indulgent slog of a vanity project from the last director on Earth who needs one.

It’s a movie about making movies. You know, the most important thing in the world.

speilberg lifetime achievement blowjob

This. Him getting the director nod over the Daniels is absurd, but thats how its going to go down.

I do have to say my biggest Oscar snub is Paul Dano

Not for the Fabelmans, but for The Batman. Dano was fucking awesome as The Riddler. But still give the Oscar to Ke Huy Quan

1 Like

I see what you mean, but the true victim in all this is Colin Farrell, who absolutely deserved to win

for his role as Penguin in The Batman

1 Like

Watching Speed again and the practical effects make this movie. When they pull the lady out right before the elevator falls barely missing her feet, I gasped.

2 Likes

Irish setter from Banshees deserves to win best supporting actor, are you kidding me I’m almost crying this doggo is so sad.

I’m all for a new oscar category

Best Doggo

Lets get dogs more represented

2 Likes