Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

2 Likes

I did say after I saw it that seeing it cold seemed like it would be confusing. Others disagreed.

I mean, if you don’t care for space operas you’re not going to like Dune, it’s the quintessential space opera.

Fair but the entire driving force of the film is the spice and they spend less then 60 seconds of a 2:30 movie explaining why.

It’s just not well structured or explained if you don’t come in with a ton of prior knowledge.

Christian Bale does this for a film

But Chalamet has the same haircut in Little Women and Dune!

The spice is only barely explained in the books. It makes their spaceships go and it’s a metaphor for oil, that’s all you need to know about it. It’s like the suitcase from Pulp Fiction.

I can do one of those.

3 Likes

TIL haircuts and physical transformation = acting chops

I wish I was this unaccomplished at 25

“He has received several accolades throughout his career, including nominations for an Academy Award, three BAFTA Film Awards, two Golden Globe Awards, four Screen Actors Guild Awards, and four Critics’ Choice Movie Awards.”

Untitled-1

6 Likes

What i gathered from the movie as a non book reader is spice is used by the pilot guys to navigate space so without it no one can go anywhere, seems pretty damn important. Not sure what else you want to know about it.

1 Like

Chalamet is whatever, the rest of the cast are great.

1 Like

I got the same from the 60 seconds they spent on it.

Anyway. It wasn’t my thing. Most people love it. No worries.

One thing they don’t explain at all is that people don’t use computers in the future, they just have humans who use drugs to do math, a fun bit of worldbuilding that doesn’t add much to the story.

Is that why the ships were old school analog dials? That made no sense when they have lasers and stuff.

teamclovis. Dune was terrible. Don’t get the love at all. And it… just fucking ends. At least Lynch was able to do the whole fucking book in less than 3 hours.

1 Like

Minor Dune universe spoiler

There was a big war vs AIs in the past and “thinking machines” are banned.

1 Like

That is my point. How am I suppose to know this. I wish they spent more time explaining the universe to people who hadn’t read the book.

It’s barely explained in the book. It’s just a conceit that allowed Herbert to build his fictional universe without having to speculate about advanced technology. There are no computers. There are space witches. Just run with it.

2 Likes

It doesn’t really matter all that much to the story. You just need to know these two colonial powers are fighting to control this resource that makes space travel possible.