Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Saw the new James Bond movie last night. Very enjoyable.

Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Itā€™s really good. Worthy successor to the originals. Well worth breaking my movie theater quarantine.

Planning to go this week.

Dune was a fun-ass movie. (Never read the books)

4 Likes

Watched Dune yesterday and really liked it, also not a book reader. Iā€™d heard that non book readers might have trouble following along but I didnā€™t feel that way, I think I understood most of what was going on.

4 Likes

There are a bunch of movies that either just hit streaming or are about to hit streaming that will probably be Oscar nominated.

I wish @RiskyFlush was still around. I liked our watch parties of Oscar nominated films.

Does anyone know Risky outside the forum?

3 Likes

Just watched it a few days ago as well and liked it and didnā€™t have an issue with figuring out the plot either, have not read the book.

Iā€™d still do it

sad this thread died out Movie Night Watch Party Megathread - #4245 by clovis8

Also as a side note, kind of funny how Thanksgiving movies really never became a thing. The list of great Thanksgiving movies is

1. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
  2. ??
1 Like
  1. Thanskilling

Scent of a woman and Aliceā€™s Restaurant

Just saw Ghostbusters afterlife. Tons of fun and nostalgia.

Pretty sentimental for me as MIL gave my two oldest boys proton packs when they were 4 and 5. She bought their 1.5 year old brother a baby toy.

He cried and cried and cried until grandma went and swapped his toy out for a proton pack, it was almost as big as he was. One of my favorite memories of him.

5 Likes

Another ā€œPigā€ with Nic Cage recommendation, I just watched on a plane and enjoyed it.

Watched Free Guy after Thanksgiving dinner. Itā€™s a hell of a lot of fun, especially if you are a gamer. Some jokes and things will be over your head if youā€™re not, but my wife loved it without being a gamer herself (though sheā€™s married to one and is the mom of two, so she did understand a lot of the inside-gaming references). Our host, who knows nothing about video games, enjoyed it, too, even though she didnā€™t understand what an NPC was (key to the entire movie) until about a third of the way through.

Felt like Matrix, Groundhog Day, and Truman Show had a baby.

lolā€™d at the tea bag. Did you explain that? lol

1 Like

Watched King Richard, where Will Smith is portraying the father of Venus and Serena Williams. Itā€™s getting a fair amount of Oscar talk, and Iā€™m just not understanding why. Iā€™m not seeing some outstanding performance from Smith (I actually thought the supporting cast did a better job), the drama is often flat and they repeatedly remind the viewer how their story ends.

Watched Ghostbuster for first time since I was a kid. Held up ok. Not as funny as I remember.

One thing that shocked me is how sexual it is. Literally blowjob jokes and at one point weaver literally says ā€œI want you inside meā€.

This was a kids movie on rotation in every 10 year olds house when I grew up lol!

2 Likes

Ghostbusters afterlife is the first movie done again. Not bad. Not great.

8-Bit Christmas

A new ā€œChristmas movieā€ on HBO Max. Neil Patrick Harris is a dad who tells his daughter the story of his efforts to get an NES in 1988. Nothing new here, just a nice, family comedy (a few swear words) in the old ā€œkid really wants a specific toy for Christmasā€ tradition. Itā€™s not fall off the couch funny or anything, but I did laugh out loud several times. They do the 1980ā€™s kid nostalgia really well. Itā€™s very accurate. Itā€™s not the cheap jazzercise-neon-shoulder pads jokes that you usually see.

Not as funny as I thought it would be, but itā€™s a solid family Christmas flick, particularly if you were an 80ā€™s kid.

1 Like

In a similar ā€œHarmless Christmas movie that isnt greatā€ but more adult, is Love Hard, just released on Netflix. Woman gets catfished on a dating site and finds out when she decides to surprise him by flying to him on Christmas. Hillarity* insues. Jimmy O Yang from Silicon Valley gets his first major lead role and does pretty well with it.

*YMMV, IANAL

We as a society donā€™t talk enough about how great Chunking Express is.

3 Likes