Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Natasha Henstridge :heart_eyes:

Universal Soldier and Sudden Death are good Van Damme movies

Timecop is the best Van Damme movie.

3 Likes

I remember when Double Impact came out and people thought Jean Claude and Van Damme were two brothers IRL.

1 Like

For pure entertainment is Sudden Death. Timecop was an actual better movie. It’s been so long since I’ve seen the others.

No talk about In the Heights? I’d give it an 8/10. The cut out some of my favorite songs, 96,000 felt a bit how they shot it at a pool, blackout felt like it could have been done better

The abuela had an amazing number. A whole 5 minutes or so dedicated to just her and backup dancers and she did amazing. Nina was pretty good though the Broadway actriz had a slightly better voice, same with Vanessa

Glad to see Rosa from Brooklyn 99 and polaca from Orange is the New Black.

Sounds dumb but the visual sentimentality reminded me of Seseme Street. As someone who’s never been to New York made it neighbors and place of community and the way this is shot really brings out the theme of community

1 Like

Saw my first boobs as a kid in this movie

Me: I am a sophisticated film-viewer who watches classy movies on the Criterion Channel.

Also me: OMG, they have John Carpenter’s The Thing!

2 Likes

That’s quite literally why I signed up for a two-week free trial last week.

It’s pretty great, right? A lot of eerie similarities to Alien, although obv not anywhere in that caliber. Tremendous practical effects.

There are quite a few classic 70’s horror films on CC if you’re into that kind of thing.

Saw In The Heights last night for my first time back in a theater since COVID.

9.5/10 for me. I knew going in that there would be some changes, so I wasn’t too disappointed or surprised. I think it was done well.

Pacencia y Fe was phenomenal. I’m so glad they got the original Broadway actress (Olga Merediz) back for her role. I loved the way they did this entire scene.

Anthony Ramos is incredible.

Personally, I loved the colors/production design. It felt authentic to the cultures and similar to the Latino spaces I see here in San Diego. In movie form, the neighborhood really got to become the character it was meant to be that couldn’t really be captured on stage.

The West Side Story remake will draw comparisons and I think it’s going to have a big hill to climb to top this.

I loved the Christopher Jackson cameo, too. You could tell he and Lin Manuel-Miranda are great friends and we’re having so much fun with their scenes.

3 Likes

Just saw this too. I had no context before seeing it. I liked it but not as much as you. It was too long. They could have cut 30 minutes and made it far better.

The cast was great though.

You can see Miranda working out what will come in Hamilton. It’s not near the masterpiece of that musical but is still pretty great.

Overall, I liked it. Mostly I am so happy to be able to go to the movies again.

One gripe.

I thought the song on the side of the building was so odd. The movie had no other surreal scenes like that. It seemed so out of place.

Moon

I watched this last night. Only half paid attention at times. It’s only thinking about it now that I understand

the clones and the machine are more human than the humans.

Sam1 just wants to get back to his wife and daughter. Sam2 tries to beat it into Sam1’s fat head that they are clones and the human rescue party on the way is actually coming to kill them. Sam2 tries to save Sam1 but it’s Sam1 who saves Sam2. GERTY, the machine, is just running its program but somehow is still trying to help the clones, protect them from each other, the environment, the company executives, and the assassins they’re sending. Asshole company executives (humans) set up the clone program in the first place. Sam0 (human) is the asshole who apparently sold his DNA to the company. Assholes (humans) back on Earth want to treat Sam2 as an illegal alien.

I give it 4/5. Not being able to pay attention is a me problem.

2 Likes

You should start the spoiler tags with your third sentence.

Compromising by starting middle of 3rd sentence.

Looking for something fun to watch we stumbled on “Some Like it Hot” last night.

Hillarious movie that ends kinda meh, but Jack Lemmon is a comedy god.

I was shocked at how much I enjoyed this, but it was much needed. My 13 year old not obly enjoying but really loving it blew my mind. He normally scoffs at the idea of b&w movies

5 Likes

One of the best movies ever made. You’ll see it in those top 10 lists all the time.

Timeless.

Also filmed at the hotel del Coronado here in San Diego so that’s fun.

4 Likes

5 Likes

Alright so I did watch it.

I have to say I wasn’t really convinced by the movie (although the politics were weirdly relevant, since villain had many trumpian aspects), most of the action scenes felt very generic.

There were a few Van Damme specific moments which were good though. Like at one point he’s about to get tased by a bad guy, and the floor is covered with water. So what is going to happen to the bad guy is pretty obvious, but I was wondering how he was going to jump out of the water’s range. He did so with what I assume is a classic Van Damme trick (but surprised me !) :

jcvd

(full scene on youtube)

1 Like

Just watched The Father. Brilliant, terrifying and devastating all in 90 minutes.

Can my ~17 year old self have been wrong? Seems unlikely.

1 Like