Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

I think “don’t like what she did with the story” is too strong. My dislike is for the amount of awards show love this movie is getting.

Maybe if it was a crappy year like 2017 or 1999 I’d be more receptive. But it’s not; there are some really good movies this year. Judas and the Black Messiah is better. Minari is better. Sound of Metal is better. One Night in Miami is better, and that didn’t even get a BP nomination.

Nomadland is basically on par with Mank or Another Round. Direction is great; acting is decent to good; screenplay is average at best. There are just flat out better films this year.

Are you trying to troll RiskyFlush into posting again?

Wasn’t my intent, but I do hope Risky comes back soon.

I will stand by 1999 sucking. American Beauty was good, but pretty weak as far as BP winners go. The Green Mile was not good. And The Sixth Sense is possibly the worst BP nominee in history.

1 Like

If you want to talk about award nominees, sure. But it’s generally regarded as one of the best years ever for film. The sheer quantity of movies that were very good and/or had massive cultural impact is bonkers.

Office Space
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
The Matrix
Cookie’s Fortune
Go
The Winslow Boy
Run Lola Run
American Pie
The Blair Witch Project
Eyes Wide Shut
The Sixth Sense
American Beauty
Three Kings
Fight Club
The Straight Story
Bringing Out the Dead
Being John Malkovich
Dogma
Toy Story 2
Sweet and Lowdown
The Cider House Rules
Girl, Interrupted
Man on the Moon
Galaxy Quest
Magnolia

3 Likes

This episode of 99% Invisible is a really good listen. It touched on the impact that theaters had on 90s films.

Two Stranger Strangers

5/10

A 30 minute short that asks what if it were Groundhog’s Day but a black guy who keeps getting killed by a cop? The premise is already a bit heavy handed and some of the dialog lays it on even thicker. There’s a twist at the end that I thought was pretty good, but still couldn’t make up for the heavy handedness (at one point there’s a aerial shot of of a car driving down the streets with a big George Floyd graffiti’ed on the roof of a building)

Odds I am looking at has

Nomadland 1/6
Trial of Chicago 6 13/2
Minari 16/1
Promising Young Woman 18/1

1/6 is baffling to me. If I had an easy source to bet oscars I’d take a flyer on Trial of Chicago 6. Every other movie too far out of reach though,

Chicago 7 is such a boomer film it even has a non-ironic “and that man…was Jesus Christ” line lol. So has to be a heavy favorite for best picture and a lock for best screenplay.

1 Like

To be fair to me, I basically was talking about the heavily awarded/nominated movies that year.

I’ll concede that your list makes the year look significantly better.

Add Promising Young Woman to this list of films significantly better than Nomadland.

Looks good to me. Aside from not having Disney+, I won’t turn down a Marvel offering.

Though when the title slowly appeared at the end, I thought was about to say “SHAQ-FU.”

1 Like

This sounds promising.

goddamn I used to go to the movies a lot. Saw the bolded in theaters. Also saw these good movies in the theater:

Talented Mr. Ripley
Varsity Blues
The Insider
Cruel Intentions
13th Warrior
Any Given Sunday
South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut
Bowfinger (underrated movie btw)
Austin Powers 2
Payback
Election (best movie of 1999)
Thomas Crown Affair
The Hurricane

And these bad ones:
Double Jeopardy
Entrapment
Ravenous
Analyze This
Bone Collector
Star Wars: Phantom Menace
The World is not Enough

1 Like

And holy shit, look at how few of those movies were in a franchise. Kind of want there to be an Election Cinematic Universe.

“Alfred’s ghost, go get my motorized Bat Cart.”

You didn’t go see Wing Commander on opening night?

Never seen it, no.

Neither have I. It was one of the biggest flops of the decade.

That’s another crazy thing about 1999. There were so many good movies that otherwise notable events got overlooked or forgotten. Martin Scorsese and Robert Altman both had great movies with major stars released that year that few people even know exist because there was so much else going on.