Movie Night Watch Party Megathread

Trolly, is this 10pm EST? I will make a banner to bring all the boys to the yard.

Yeah, EST. I don’t know how much interest there will be, maybe we can vote on it.

We can set up a vote if you prefer. I am happy to wait for the banner until you are ready. I think this is the sort of movie though that people are unlikely to be sure whether they want to watch until it’s Friday night, ain’t got shit to do, and the rest of us are blowing up the watch thread with WTFs.

1 Like

I say that as someone who has not seen it but have read a bunch and think it sounds like peak Cage.

The easiest way to describe Mandy is this: Imagine an early ’80s van with heavy metal fantasy imagery airbrushed on the side. The sound of psychedelic rock emanates from the van, which is being driven by a long-haired, androgynous Jesus-type with eyeliner melting down his face. The door opens, and amid the neon-drenched smoke there’s a gang of Cenobites from Hellraiser carrying battle axes and bejeweled daggers.

You definitely get the full Nic Cage in this movie.

1 Like

ARE YOU READY TO GO FULL CAGE?! Friday night at 10pm EST, we blow the doors off the bee cage to pay tribute to Nicolas Cage. Make way, Donald, for the One True Golden God.

The easiest way to describe Mandy is this: Imagine an early ’80s van with heavy metal fantasy imagery airbrushed on the side. The sound of psychedelic rock emanates from the van, which is being driven by a long-haired, androgynous Jesus-type with eyeliner melting down his face. The door opens, and amid the neon-drenched smoke there’s a gang of Cenobites from Hellraiser carrying battle axes and bejeweled daggers.

1 Like

sounds cool. netflix?

Shudder. Free trial available of course… They have an amazing horror film collection.

2 Likes

I can’t do Mandy in my state of mind right now. But how about Independence Day at some point?

1 Like

We need a pretentious snob watch party, like Tarkovsky or Bergman. Maybe Peter Greenaway.

I’m not really sure if that’s a joke or not. It’s probably a joke.

2 Likes

I think watching Nic Cage go ballistic against forces of darkness can do wonders for your mental health.

2 Likes

I don’t know any of those people - so I would totally be in for making fun of pretentious shlock.

I can’t do dark horror right now. Are you telling me this isn’t dark horror?

It’s…

I’m not gonna lie, it gets a bit dark and crazy.

I don’t want to over-hype this movie cause I’ll feel like an ass if everyone hates it, but I think it’s an incredible experience.

Seventh Seal or Joan of Arc?

pft, those are too easy

I say we go Andrei Rublev vs Fanny and Alexander (TV version of course)

(I remember liking Andrei Rublev…)

2 Likes

If you guys want to get crazy let’s do Brazil.

1 Like

No interest in A Scanner Darkly?

We did horror with The Platform recently.

That and Nicolas Cage sucks

1 Like

Mandy was one poster’s request. Delighted to watch Scanner Darkly another day.

Zaramom will be joining us (in spirit)??? This will be the first time a poster’s mom joined us since gobbomom