Moderator Nominations: 6 Month Term beginning 1/1/22

I would suggest that this thread be extended. Now that it was made a banner we are actually getting volunteers but since there are only 4 hours left it looks like maybe none of them will get the requisite 10 likes in time.

Done.

1 Like

90% of it is seeing a little red notification then clicking on that and deciding whether to agree with the flag, disagree with the flag, delete the post, or ignore the flag.

Just to emphasize - there’s nothing bad about a moderator who is largely hands off, or one who is maybe super busy and can only act a few hours a week. Each moderator is incremental to the other mods, and any incremental effort helps.

4 Likes

The other 10% is telling everyone to stop bitching at each other on Friday nights when they are bored.

6 Likes

Earlier this year, Wookie took one of the most extraordinary moderation actions I’d ever seen on an internet forum: he limited the rate of posting in the Covid 19 Origins thread to one post per day. Left it there for a week, and this was during a time when there was a lot of nationwide discussion on the origins of the pandemic. I thought it was completely inappropriate to throttle discussion using mod power on a newsworthy topic that many people were interested in, and am curious if Wookie thinks this was an appropriate use of mod power and thinks he might take similar action again in the future if he unilaterally deems other topics to be similarly threatening.

Thread earned it.

1 Like

I’ll do it if people want me to do it, I think I’ve been pretty clear how I feel about repeat offenders.

22 Likes

Fwiw, almost no decisions are made unilaterally. Especially ones lasting a week.

The throttle staying up that long indicates the other mods were in agreement.

3 Likes

Well at least certain “repeat offenders”, anyway…

Irrelevant

It not being unilateral kinda changes the entire nature of your complaint

1 Like

It just means that maybe unnamed others are complicit in that bad moderation choice. Wookie for sure is and it’s fair to ask him about it if he wants to be mod.

You could volunteer instead of complaining.

You could volunteer instead of complaining.

Is it not appropriate to ask questions about how a candidate plans to mod or how he modded in the past? In any case, seems crass to nominate oneself but I’m not opposed to it.

3 Likes

I nominate @anon10396289

13 Likes

Well I don’t think pointing out what I did is “complaining”, but in any case, I’ve explained on many occasions that I have enough self awareness to know that I wouldn’t be a good mod.

22 posts were split to a new topic: On Improving Moderation

I nominate @Yuv

5 Likes