Moderation

And the fact that this word is problematic has been pointed out to him before. He knows. He’s a troll.

1 Like

This.

Omg bad words says the people who don’t want to give people healthcare

1 Like

Really. lol you are going to defend wrongfully using the word lynching this month, of all months, and then knowingly lie about our positions in a thread dedicated to calling out trolls.

I tip my hat sir. That is next level trolling.

1 Like

@Sabo its not a lynching, its informally building a consensus. Seems like you object to there being no formal process. If its all codified, every troll is just gonna lawbro you to death with them. This ad-hoc process is fine imo.

Idk what kind of exposure this place gets or wants to, but if i were stumbling across it for the first time, the top threads being 3 guys engaging a troll isn’t necessarily a good look. Not sure containment is much better than a ban because of this.

2 Likes

Come on Johnny. If some right wing person has used that term this month so obviously incorrectly they would be destroyed on this site. There is no definition of that word that is anything like he was saying. He simply wanted to be as caustic as possible. A lynching is a extrajudicial murder that includes torture and public dehumanization. To say an annoying poster getting banned after a vote is being lynched, this month when actual Africans Americans are being lynched, is completely inexcusable.

3 Likes

I think Sabo is a generally smart guy who likes to throw bombs and stir shit up.

I don’t think he was trying to be racist. He is obviously not a racist. He was being insensitive just like the time he used the word whore several times in a post. His desire to throw rhetorical bombs overtakes his desire to be sensitive.

Bang up job keeping dumb forum drama off the front page today.

Is there a way to set the entire “about unstuck” forum to not appear on the top page? If so maybe we do that.

This is a false dichotomy. In no way am I arguing for “all codified”. The amount of “formal”-ness is up for discussion. I’m usually the one making the anti-lawbro speech… so I think you just lost your chain of thought there.

But yeah, there needs to be some kinda process here… or we’re just tossing the whole concept of community out the window.

Let’s see… banning threads only opened with a unanimous vote by the current mods. This allows our duly delegated by acclamation ‘editors’ to exercise their discretion, and act as a “grand jury”, to weed out frivolous complaints, while still letting everyone play jury.

Notice: there is no “all codified”, or any more weasel room to “lawbro” than the status-quo… but there is process. If you want to call that “formal”… well that’s up to you.

It has been pointed out to him before.

There is, but I don’t think the entire About category needs to go, just this stuff. And for all this hand wringing about process and participation, the reason it’s always just the same handful of people discussing this stuff is because nobody else fucking cares.

We’ve been at this for almost 15 months and the vast majority have consistently making their opinion very clearly. They absolutely do not care, not even a little bit.

1 Like

Fair enough but would there ever be a time we would want about unstuck to be top of page? It’s always going to be inside baseball.

1 Like

I don’t think the word should be used for anything other than the way you describe it, but the legal definition involves taking a prisoner away from the “authorities” and not necessarily killing them. A few years ago a protester in Los Angeles was charged with lynching for trying to pull another protester away from the police who were dragging them off.

He used the word “lynching.” Words mean things. If he didn’t want to equate RAIDS’ ban to a lynching, he should have used a word besides “lynching.”

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s entirely fair. Seems like things have been going well and we don’t have the constant barrage of troublemakers we had over at 22 so no one sees a need to get involved with steering the ship.

2 Likes

So the person who wants to literally vaporize landlords is freaking out about a troll being banned following a community vote.

LOOOOOL

This entire episode runs parallel to the events that got everyone to bail on 22, only in reverse. Trolls complained to an admin about being mistreated so often that he eventually got frustrated and nuked the entire forum.

Here a small group got frustrated with a troll, refused to just ignore him, complained continuously itt and had to run a poll twice to finally get him booted. Great system we have working here

1 Like

No one is ever immune to banning but running polls repeatedly to produce forum fatigue bc a rule violation can’t be articulated from the start seems bad.

And if 70% of the forum was contented to simply ignore/not respond to the problem it seems like the systems were working pretty well actually.

2 Likes

There’s no reason why people shouldn’t be able to change their minds after talking and have a new poll, and it’s dishonest to present it this way when both poll results were pro-ban.

3 Likes