Moderation rules

Trump’s twitter account seems … clearly above the rules. People talk about banning him from Twitter, I’d rather see wtf he’s going on about.

This. Sometimes newsworthiness beats out everything. Trumps twitter feed is enormously news worthy and dunking on it is an engine of this site.

1 Like

I’d give him 48 hours. There have been numerous posts in here about how the pattern of posting matters, and rare/one off instances warrant a PM not a banning.

The community has had numerous discussions about the bot, wants the bot, etc. It’s the President of the United States, it’s newsworthy. If it’s a newsmaker/tastemaker/etc saying it, fair use applies to analyze what’s going on.

Only thing I can think of is if he Tweeted somebody’s home address or something like that.

Feel free to spend some time contributing to the discussion about setting rules, since that’s how a community run place works. It probably won’t take that much longer than you’ve spent bitching about me ITT.

We’ve gotta go in and check every time. It is annoying.

Confirmed. That was the exact progression.

All that said, this strikes me as way over the top. I am Spartacus. If someone eats a ban over this, sign me up for one as well.

1 Like

It seems excessive, but then I’m not the one who has to deal with these post reports every day.

Feel free to suggest a better action, I’m all ears. Trolling the mods by reporting posts that clearly should not be reported is obviously out of line, and so far I’ve given numerous warnings and it’s not stopping. We’re volunteer mods, it’s not particularly fun work, and trolling us is childish. I’m not Nancy Pelosi, I’m not writing eight more strongly worded letters. I’ll post the warning in the Trump thread too so that everyone has seen it, and that’s that.

Like, what would happen on 2p2 if someone was intentionally reporting posts to spam the mods? I seem to recall threats of temp bans for that, but maybe I’m remembering wrong.

In my brief stint with powers I found ignoring it relatively easy. As I said, I’m against reporting the bot. It’s pointless (and other reports are not) and seeing the notification and getting your hopes up about “you’ve got mail” only to find a dumb post report is annoying. But, people seem to disagree in good faith about this.

Is there a feature to remove a users’ privilege to flag posts? @zikzak

That would be a good solution here.

1 Like

Not if his PM’s are clogged with them it isn’t. At a certain point you’re just being an asshole and he’s asked nicely like 10 times. If you keep doing it you deserve a temp ban, and if you keep doing it after that I’d support a perma ban. Destroying a mods inbox for your own giggles is shitty behavior.

2 Likes

I hadn’t thought of that but yes. That would be perfect.

1 Like

I don’t like “getting mail” in that regard. It means I have to stop reading/posting about whatever I’m enjoying reading/posting about to go check on the flagged post, figure out what the appropriate action is, take the action, possibly post to announce the action or PM users to announce the action, etc, and possibly get raked over the coals for whatever I decided…

Yeah, it’s a minute or two, but it’s a minute or two that I could be spending on something I enjoy and instead have to spend on something that is a labor of love for the forum. So when it’s just someone trolling me, that’s a total waste of that minute, it’s a slap in the face, and it should stop. And if asking nicely multiple times isn’t going to stop it, then there needs to be some action taken.

1 Like

Could you help me understand the source of your frustration? What is the point of you making these posts? I don’t say that to indicate there is no point. I’m just confused.

Are you asking for someone to explain the difference between a post by a poster and a post by the bot?

Are you arguing that there should be no difference?

Just venting?

Something else?

Cuse,

How many times has the bot been reported? What’s the most number of bot reports from any one poster? Has someone reported it 2 times or 20 times? There’s a difference between someone really thinking some tweets should be reported, someone trying to make a point (in a bad way imo), and someone maliciously trolling you.

There’s feedback to a poster. There’s people posting things that for various reasons some people don’t want on this site. Maybe because they think it’s offensive, maybe because they are afraid that it fosters more bad posting and will bring bad posters. That doesn’t really apply to the bot where the tweets are available to anyone in a million different places.

The. Bot. Is. Not. A. Poster.

If the bot were a real person it would have both quit and been banned a loooong time ago.

2 Likes

Recently, since this all started, one poster has done it twice, another did it once, another did a tweet featuring a right wing media person calling for violence that, IIRC, trolly had posted - probably in the Trump’s America thread. Possibly a couple more that I don’t recall specifically.

Put another way, roughly half of the flagged posts in the past week have been these.

1 Like

Then why do you keep making posts where that’s the core of your argument?

Or conversely would it be possible (and maybe easier) to remove the ability to flag a particular poster - the bot in this case? @zikzak

There’s a difference between creating content here that crosses the line and the President of the United States crossing the line, which is something we should all be following and discussing. There is value to this community in knowing what is going on in that regard.

2 Likes

Seems like you’re mad about something else.

Isn’t the bot more like a newsfeed than a poster? Are we not allowed to report that Trump called people “human scum”? Would we not be allowed to post an offensive Trump tweet if there were no bot?