Miami High Rise Collapse

Chick I’m sleeping right now bought a condo right on the beach in Florida and is so excited how her air bnb is working out right now. Making a good profit after the mortgage.

Don’t have the heart to tell her she’s on the clock

2 Likes

It’s almost as if counting on a bunch of people who are all pursuing their own short-term individual interests isn’t the best way to address long-term issues!

What we need here is some sort of oversight group, some “entity” that isn’t beholden to these individuals, to set and enforce standards for the greater good.

1 Like

A slide show presentation dated Oct. 14, 2020, said that contractors would need to “tear up most of the property” to carry out the necessary repairs. “There is no waterproofing layer over the garage in the driveway or any area except the pool deck and planters,” the presentation said. “This has exposed the garage to water intrusion for 40 years.”

An additional bullet point stated: “Where there is waterproofing, it has failed. Water has gotten underneath and caused additional damage to the concrete.”

https://twitter.com/tomaskenn/status/1412073042583461893

6 Likes

To me that increases the urgency to act. The “do nothing” option is not on the table.

1 Like

“When you have a high rise that collapses and you had a situation in San Francisco – we had a high rise that was sinking and tilting – it affects people’s peace of mind,” said attorney Niall McCarthy. He represented about 100 Millennium Tower residents who reached a mediated settlement in 2020 with developers and others to a lawsuit claiming their property values plummeted with news of the sinking.

The United States as a whole is starting to feel like an uninhabitable hellhole.

In the West we have epic drought and fire 6 months out of the year, the fucking Great Salt Lake is about to hit an all time low. In the Southwest we have rampant crop destroying bugs and oppressive, record setting heat, in the North the winters are getting more severe. The Southeast is getting wrecked by larger and larger hurricanes that happen more frequently and closer together. The middle of the country is being hit with larger and more frequent tornadoes that are more damaging and less predictable. The Northwest has the worst of both worlds with oppresive summer heat and long, snow heavy winters. Even the lone bastion of decent weather, the Northwest is being innundated with fire and record setting heat. Oh, and, ya know, worldwide fucking pandemics. If this is the last pandemic we see in the next decade Ill eat my fucking shoe.

We are fucked.

3 Likes

One thats likely getting shorter every day. How far from the high tide line is she?

1 Like

Where else are they going to go? Theyll flee inland, but probably stay in the state.

I mean, look at our infrastructure in general. Its a fucking miracle we dont have a bridge collapsing every week.

No big surprise that these buildings that do approx 0 maintenance are going to start eating it.

I was about to say that this is a gross overstatement, but a better answer is probably “It depends how much money you have.”

I am old enough to remember when western countries would look down their noses at countries with obscene wealth inequality, kleptocratic governments, and dynastic power held by obviously stupid children or rich and connected families. Huh.

4 Likes

The trick for the extreme wealthy to continue accumulating wealth was to keep the majority middle classes just comfortable enough to not exercise their strength in numbers. Directing their rage at other targets (the poor, immigrants, etc.) can also help. Having their condos fall on them is probably a level of discomfort they want to avoid lest people start to realize how actually fucked up things are starting to get. It’s definitely a slow boil where every once in a while the heat gets turned up just to test how much they can push. That’s the scary part.

This subthread has led me to coin the term…

social media brain - n. An emotional state of paranoia caused by reading a large quantity of news curated for maximum triggering effect.

4 Likes

I was thinking more region to region. Ya know, those houses on the coast or those in the hills getting eaten by fire arent generally owned by poor folk.

People thinking their buildings are going to fall down en masse are overreacting. The rest of us looking around at crumbling infrastructure having real world impacts and areas being ravaged by climate change while we continue to collectively kick the can down the road are not.

Not going to dig through your posts but I’ll assume you told everyone they were crazy when they said Trump was a threat to US democracy too.

Niccageyadontsay.jpeg

Developers cutting corners, shitty engineering, and awful construction. This article is a couple weeks old but details how the building likely came down. Interesting and sad read.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/special-reports/surfside-investigation/article256633336.html

But don’t worry, the FL legislature is on it…
https://twitter.com/toomuchme/status/1481296129279111171?s=21

4 Likes

I grew up with that state rep that introduced that bill. His dad was insanely loaded from like cattle and timber or some such. He’s been groomed his whole life to go into politics and rubber stamp policies that benefit his family and their business friends.