Miami High Rise Collapse

Where else are they going to go? Theyll flee inland, but probably stay in the state.

I mean, look at our infrastructure in general. Its a fucking miracle we dont have a bridge collapsing every week.

No big surprise that these buildings that do approx 0 maintenance are going to start eating it.

I was about to say that this is a gross overstatement, but a better answer is probably “It depends how much money you have.”

I am old enough to remember when western countries would look down their noses at countries with obscene wealth inequality, kleptocratic governments, and dynastic power held by obviously stupid children or rich and connected families. Huh.

4 Likes

The trick for the extreme wealthy to continue accumulating wealth was to keep the majority middle classes just comfortable enough to not exercise their strength in numbers. Directing their rage at other targets (the poor, immigrants, etc.) can also help. Having their condos fall on them is probably a level of discomfort they want to avoid lest people start to realize how actually fucked up things are starting to get. It’s definitely a slow boil where every once in a while the heat gets turned up just to test how much they can push. That’s the scary part.

This subthread has led me to coin the term…

social media brain - n. An emotional state of paranoia caused by reading a large quantity of news curated for maximum triggering effect.

4 Likes

I was thinking more region to region. Ya know, those houses on the coast or those in the hills getting eaten by fire arent generally owned by poor folk.

People thinking their buildings are going to fall down en masse are overreacting. The rest of us looking around at crumbling infrastructure having real world impacts and areas being ravaged by climate change while we continue to collectively kick the can down the road are not.

Not going to dig through your posts but I’ll assume you told everyone they were crazy when they said Trump was a threat to US democracy too.

Niccageyadontsay.jpeg

Developers cutting corners, shitty engineering, and awful construction. This article is a couple weeks old but details how the building likely came down. Interesting and sad read.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/special-reports/surfside-investigation/article256633336.html

But don’t worry, the FL legislature is on it…
https://twitter.com/toomuchme/status/1481296129279111171?s=21

4 Likes

I grew up with that state rep that introduced that bill. His dad was insanely loaded from like cattle and timber or some such. He’s been groomed his whole life to go into politics and rubber stamp policies that benefit his family and their business friends.

does he happen to look like this?

dutton.PNG

Incredible that the one or two story outer perimeter wall may have been the only thing holding the whole structure together for decades.

now i cannot unsee that gaetz is a clone thrown off the line for quality assurance.

1 Like

I loved Miami the one time I traveled there, but I have a hard time seeing myself wanting to go back there with all of this shit going on in Florida as a whole and the impending climate disaster.

While other states are extending their statutes of repose/limitations for certain things, this guy is proposing dropping it to 4 years instead of 10 for construction. What a blatant giveaway.

Lol, no.

Here he is:

Less than a year after the collapse a settlement in principle happened yesterday. Obv no one admitted to any wrongdoing but the with $1B+ number I’m shocked it moved this quickly given the number of parties and dollar amounts involved. It’s gotta be approved by the court but it seems it certainly will be.

$96M to condo owners that lost property and the rest of the $1B to victims’ families. Looks like the court is going to say how much the plaintiff’s lawyers get (which is usually about a third in these cases) but I’m going to assume it’s substantially lower given the quickness with which this settled.

One other interesting note is that besides the parties named in the lawsuit, their insurance companies, and the town, a Dubai-backed developer who is buying the plot of land is contributing $120M to the settlement.

2 Likes

It’s a class action suit so I’m not sure of the exact number of plaintiffs. I haven’t read the exact details yet of who qualifies to be in the class but 98 people died and there was 130ish units.

1 Like