Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Good news: The Baseball Writers Association of America decide to remove the evil K.Landis name from their MVP awards. Good riddance. Hopefully the HOF will follow suit.

ETA:

MVPs Barry Larkin, Mike Schmidt and Terry Pendleton told the AP in June that they are in favor of removing Landis’ name from the award.

More channeling 1984. That was the same summer Ghostbusters was a huge hit. So of course there was a parody “Cubs Busters” song (which was pretty good for it’s genre), and about 79% of the city was wearing various versions of “Cubs Busters” TV shirts… some more approved than others (above). Mine succumbed to the washing machine “shrinking” all my clothes, even unwashed, over the following years.

2 Likes

My 8 year old daughter just asked “shouldn’t the cardinals have a point already”?

2 Likes

Holy Molina. Not again.

giphy

1 Like

I’m almost scared to watch this.

GG GL Padres.

2 Likes

pads dancing

2 Likes

Sabo the dog out “Celedrating” … on to Arlington TX !!!1!

4 Likes

RIP Bob Gibson.

2 Likes

Hi. Is this where I lolcards?

3 Likes

Both central divisions should be banned

3 Likes

I’m heartbroken

1 Like

https://www.mlb.com/news/bob-gibson-on-race-baseball

B.Gibson was always a stand up guy,

He also liked hitting. He was the only .300 hitter on the NL champ 1968 Card’s. After he retired, he refused to do old-timers games unless he got to hit.

ETA: He pitched so good in 1968 that they changed the rules.

2 Likes

My mom was a White Sox fan growing up (I think - she grew up on the north side, but I don’t remember her talking about the Cubs), but she went to Washington University and became a huge Bob Gibson fan. Gale Sayers was also her favorite football player. Not a great week for my mom’s sports heroes.

And man, the Cards losing Gibson and Brock. So sad.

My old man loves to talk about what a badass Gibson was. Especially about how he finished a game on a broken leg.

1 Like

In honor of Bob Gibson. Did Jon Bois make a 90 minute two-part video about how there are no more Bob’s in professional sports? He sure did.

All-Star Sabo-Metrics recognizes the Minnesota Twins as 2020 Central Pennant winners !!!1!

Twins Franchise Pennants (* won WS): 1924*, 1925, 1933 (AL as Washington); 1965, 1987*, 1991* (AL); 2020 (Central).

Background: With the advent of inter-league play in 1997, All-Star Sabo-Metrics discontinued the recognition of AL, NL Pennant winners. Instead, the World Series champ has been considered the winner of a MLB unified pennant. However, the regionally segregated schedule used in 2020 has reinstated the concept of pennants. Therefore, All-Star Sabo-Metrics will recognize Western, Central, Eastern Pennant winners for 2020.

1924 Washington Senators

Analysis: With the collapse of the central teams in the playoffs (the seven teams were 0-7 in series, and 2-14 in games), the divisional distinction becomes moot. The Twins had the best regular season record (36-24 .600) and the best combined record (36-26 .581) of the 10 central teams.

It’s so good

WS NL AL Shared Stadium
1921 NY Giants (5-3) Yankees Polo Grounds
1922 NY Giants (4-0-1) Yankees Polo Grounds
1944 Card’s (4-2) StL Browns Sportsman’s Park

Just when you think something is new in baseball… is just when you should be checking out the record books. There will be seven postseason series this season at a single site… there have been three World Series where the teams shared stadiums (above).

There will be 24-41 neutral site postseason games this season… there were 10 neutral site World Series games in the 1910s. Also 3/4 of the quarter-final matchups have met at neutral sites previously (below).

Year Bat 1st Bat 2nd Neutral Site
1914 WS A’s (0-2) Braves Fenway Park
1915 WS Phillies (0-2) Red Sox Nickerson Field
1916 WS Dodgers (0-3) Red Sox Nickerson Field
1918 WS Red Sox (2-1) Cubs Comiskey Park
2004 Yankees (1-1) Rays Tokyo Dome
2016 Marlins (1-0) Braves Fort Bragg Field
2018 Dodgers (1-2) Padres EdeB Monterrey

The 1914 “Miracle” Braves were between stadiums. The Red Sox and Cubs moved their games to higher capacity stadiums. Braves Field is now Boston U’s Nickerson Field. This gives rise to the Official Best Trivia Question Ever™: Where did Babe Ruth get his first World Series hit? FYI: All time records, and records at the neutral sites, are below…

WS Franchise vs Opponate 2020 @ Venue Sabo* 2020
27 Yankees 231-167 2-4 1-0
Rays 8-2 5-1 1-0
1 Astros 149-224 (2-5) 1-2
9 A’s 75-74 7-3 23-35^ (1-3) 1-1
Padres 2-0 2-0
6 Dodgers 483-403-1 6-4 2-1 2-1
2 Marlins 19-24
3 Braves 277-191 (2-4) 6-4 18-29 (3-3)
Includes postseason in (parens). ^ Includes 15-21 vs Angels 1962-1965. * At Petco, Sabo the dog saw the hated Yankees win 6-3 on 2016-7-3, and the Rays win 7-5 on 2019-8-13.

Didn’t you have any beaches or canyons to explore, or Calvin Ball to play with the kids in the neighborhood, or enjoy just spending time with your friends, or by yourself, without the adults organizing everything and telling you what to do?

I always kept the “school time sink” at the absolute legal minimum, and worked at taking it below that level whenever I could get away with it.