Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Wait… you’re telling me you got Wally Joyner’s autograph?!? ?! ?!?

1 Like

This was the easiest of my trivia Qs and I’m surprised nobody got it. Maybe folks were overthinking it, and suspected a “dark side” answer. There is no “dark side” here. Which is exactly why I included it.

#3 A: Zero. Two ways: walk off and game called with zero outs.

Remaining unanswered baseball rules trivia: Warning: the dark side of the rule book is in play.

• #4. What’s the least number of batters in a full inning?
  • #5. What happens if the batter due up is on base?
  • #6. What’s the most number of outs that can be made in an inning?
  • #12. There’s a few… name a football like penalty in baseball.
  • #14. What happens if both managers refuse to announce their lineup first?
  • #18. Can a baseball team score on defense?
  • #20. What happens if a fly ball never comes down?
  • #21 New Playoff Bonus. How many SB in an inning without scoring a run?

I still have mine, too, but my wife wears it to bed. It’s gotten stretched out in its upper half, if you catch my drift. She wears a bunch of my nerd shirts to bed, in fact.

When we did the one-on-one ladder match, it was best of three. My opponent beat me to punch on the first question, so I came up with a brilliant strategy for the second one. Since the moderator gave us a few seconds to answer after buzzing in, I decided to buzz in juuuust before I finished the problem to give myself an advantage.

That would have been a great strategy if I was actually able to finish the problem.

I lost in the finals of the chapter countdown, just to win the state countdown. Fun times.

So the Central has 6 teams in the playoffs and 4 have already been eliminated? Sounds about right.

and y’all were shitting on Mensa

I was a dorky-looking guy in middle school, but holy shit, the state Mathcounts meet was the biggest nerdfest I’ve ever seen. I was cool compared to most of the kids there.

I also finished in the bottom quartile.

Seriously, I’d never heard of this kid geek shit before. LOL @ spending that quality “kid time” that can never be gotten back… on the math equivalent of the smelling bee.

Anyways, did the math geeks really seed the state champs equally? I’d give them an “F” right there for that idiocy.

I mean, I was a huge book nerd growing up, I was like 3 years head in math, but I stuck with the school paper and drama club along with track and swimming…even I was socially smart enough to know to stay away from the truly radioactive clubs like chess and Odyssey of the Mind

we’re watching baseball here

2 Likes

A smelling bee would have been amazing.

I’ll guess two. With it having something to do with the team batting out of order. So, the batter that was skipped is called out without coming to bat.

I should know this as a Twins fan, and seeing it happen at the old Metrodome. I think the batter is awarded first or second base. I’ll got with first base, final answer.

With the new stupid,stupid,stupid extra inning rule the ordinary answer is two: CS, F8, F8. I wrote the Q before that desecration however.

You are correct, the dark side of batting-out-of-order is the key here. However the correct dark side answer is one. If the other team doesn’t object, and the batter doesn’t end up on base, the out-of-order team can send the same dude up indefinitely.

ETA: in a sense, the answer could be considered zero. Team X sends up out-of-order batter, batter gets a hit, Team Y calls them on it. Repeat twice more. But… the three plate appearance still have to actually happen, even if they are all erased.

Anyways, my Q anticipated this by asking for “batters” and not “plate appearances”.

I didn’t write this Q very well. For domed stadiums, or stadiums with gear hanging over the field in general, there’s a ground rule that differs from stadium to stadium. I’ll try again…

• #20B: Outdoor stadium, night game, no overhanging gear… a fly ball is hit over the lights… it doesn’t land on the field of play, nobody sees it come down, nobody spots it on the ground afterwards. It just goes up… and never “comes down”.

This used to happen sometimes in MiLB up through the 1980s.

I can remember having a fetish for the smell of book fairs.

Erasers. Oh yeah.

The Marlins have STILL never lost a playoff series in their entire existence.

Clearly we are in the worst timeline.

3 Likes

FISH

Cubs outscored the Reds 1-0. Great showing from NL Central so far.

4 Likes

Sure, Sabo the dog’s Padres have the worst regular season record, they have the worst postseason record, they suffer under The Wizard’s Curse… but they are undefeated in postseason double-elimination games. They’re 1-0…

Let’s go back almost 36 years to October 7th, 1984… otherwise known as The Greatest Day In San Diego Sports History. It was the fifth and final game of the NLCS… the heavily favored Cubs were up 3-0 in the 6th… Rick Sutcliffe, who dominant as Cy Young winner that season, and who had just shutout the Pads for seven innings in game one, was on the mound.

After the magic we had witnessed the previous two days at SDDCU, us 58,359 Padres fans knew we had the Cubbies just where we wanted them. I called exactly that in LF Loge… and got high-5s all around. We just knew. Then this happened

[Alan] Wiggins led off the bottom of the sixth with a bunt single. That was followed by a sharp single to left field by Tony Gwynn. The bases then became loaded when series hero Steve Garvey drew a walk. Padres’ third baseman [San Diegan] Graig Nettles… hit a sac fly, scoring Wiggins from third. That was followed by catcher Terry Kennedy also hitting a sac fly, which scored Gwynn…

The Cubs went down… in their half of the seventh, and San Diego struck once again. Carmelo Martinez drew a walk. Shortstop Gary Templeton sac bunted Martinez down to second. Dick Williams then sent Tim Flannery to the plate in place of [pitcher Craig] Lefferts. At this point, one of the biggest fielding errors in postseason history occurred. Flannery hit a sharp ground to first baseman Leon Durham, who let it go between his legs. The floodgates were now open. Wiggins followed the Durham error with a single, Gwynn with a double, which scored both Flannery and Wiggins, and Gwynn advanced to third on the throw to the plate. Garvey drove home Gwynn on a single, and drove Sutcliffe from the game.

Of course, T.Gwynn Sr gets the GWRBI.

The city went wild. People partied at SDCCU well past dawn. The epicenter of celebration that night was Missile Beach… where folks were drinking on the beach and on the streets hi-5ing passing traffic until late into the night. Nothing will ever top 1984.

Frick. Amazing take there technically.

I really am in awe of your historical knowledge of the Pads. Also, did you ever have the inclination to get into broadcasting? You clearly have the passion.

About the curse. I think it’s pretty interesting that the difference in what he was offered by both clubs was, checks notes, $50,000. That is embarrassing for the Cards now that he’s a top 3 player.

ETA: both clubs comment is erroneous and leaves out the White Sox.

1 Like