Major League Baseball (Part 1)

got the yips os. or maybe he’s out of shape, while a lot of guys are working hard on the science of pitching and fitness

amazing to go from 24 and 3rd in cy young voting and worth more than the oakland A’s entire roster to should be released outright

What’s interesting is that they had to have made some sort of adjustment to his pitching before sending him out to face live batters again. To then get shelled after making adjustments has to be really discouraging.

1 Like

hopefully he’ll get right. but it’s the highest level, and no guarantees

Reminds me of the Ricky Romero situation with the Jays. He had a breakout year in 2011 and gets the opening day start in 2012, he is going to be our ace, and everything fell apart. They tried everything to get him back on track but after 4 starts in 2013 he never pitched another MLB inning. Happened in a flash.

I read that Manoah was the second slowest pitcher in MLB last year and maybe the pitch clock hinders him. Maybe, but his last outing was a disastrous 1.1 innings… didn’t really have a chance to get tired.

That rookie ball line from today… yikes.

2 Likes

Manoah was lot better than Romero but I’ll allow the point. Aaron Sanchez too, another blue jay who had one great season then welp.

Maybe the Bird? 24 complete games as a rookie with a 2.34 era as a 21 year old

only 27 games after that. The old injure your arm before medical stuff caught up with those things.

Manoah is unique in that he’s not injured (or at least in a non-apparent way). Hard to think of any other pitcher that fell off a cliff without an injury.

alcantara’s been bad after winning the cy but yeah it’s hard to think of someone who literally fell off like that there’s been a bunch who had an amazing year then went to medicore/bad the rest of their career but they bounced around

Mark Prior was injured though he tried to make a comeback but didn’t get out of AAA.

2 Likes

I don’t think the yips explains giving up 10 hits in two innings.

Actually, it seems like he had quite the smooth, repeatable pitch. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Alcantara has regressed some, but it also seems like his luck has reversed. His FIP has only increased from 2.97 to 3.76 and his velocity is pretty much unchanged. Think he should revert to at least the solid level pitcher he was before last year (at least that is my hope as I just traded for him in my league).

Manoah wasn’t even unlucky - his FIP was actually higher than his ERA.

Grooved repeatedly

1 Like

Now that I’m thinking of it more - maybe best comp is Rick Ankiel. Don’t think he got injured until after he lost the ability to throw strikes and had to be sent all the way down to Rookie league (although at least he did dominate once in the Rookie league).

1 Like

Now I’m wondering if he was trying to throw a specific pitch that kept hanging, and he went full…

Costner golf

1 Like

he is down there to work lol

was a decent hitter, too. or turned into one. it’s a fickle mistress, look at Curt Schilling after his career… he clearly could’ve derailed for various derangements but managed to avoid doing so somehow till after retirement. then - with all that free time - he kicked that uniquely bestowed data processor of his into overdrive

Former pitcher Brandon McCarthy suggests it might not be the disaster it seems to be.

https://twitter.com/BMcCarthy32/status/1673744351745425408

The problem with this take is the Jays surely would have given some kind a context to his bad outing by now if this were true. Like if he was only throwing sliders it would be known by now. I haven’t seen any tweet or statement from anyone from the Jays or Jays media saying they aren’t concerned and they expected him to get shelled.

Ricky Vaughn

2 Likes

Oh ffs I’m in the Yankees / Athletics zone for tonight’s coverage, not White Sox / Angels.

https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/status/1673859704122925058

Nobody wants to watch the fawking A’s, man.

Not like you missed something in the 1st inning already…

@BenVerlander

STARTING PITCHER SHOHEI OHTANI HITS HOME RUN #27 TO EXTEND HIS MLB LEAD!!

https://twitter.com/BenVerlander/status/1673871192229568512