Major League Baseball (Part 1)

I still remember coming home from school and seeing Wood get game-K number 20 on WGN

At age 20

On the call? Chip Caray, lmao. “Here comes the hook…”

2 Likes

Ah hell I forgot to PLAY THE MAN, not the cards. Gonna guess Strider.

2 Likes

Struggling to think of any more starters that were that dominant as a rookie - only one coming to mind is Nomo.

1 Like

Doc Gooden has to be first.

3 Likes

I can’t believe there’s a team worse than the Rockies but somehow there are two teams.

1. Doc Gooden
  2. Spencer Strider
  3. Kerry Wood

Hold my Coors Lite.

Mets have the 3rd worst record since April 21. Only KC and Oakland have won fewer

2 Likes

I burned a free trial for Ohtani / Kershaw. This better be good.

2 Likes

I saw the end of this too, nice strike zone ump but that was the best pitched game I’ve seen. That slider was unreal.

two teams flirting with all time bad at the same time is incredible really. Never thought we’d see 2003 tigers again but here we are there’s two of them and they may end up worse, ie the royals could trade a guy or two.

like for the Royals Greinke is obviously washed and yet he’s not even close to the problem.

Rockies aren’t far behind and might currently be the worst team in MLB due to injuries.

Seems like 50% of the Angels starters are injured at any point each year.

I saw that whole game live.

In the late 90s I was in university in Nova Scotia - we got a ton of Blue Jays games, ldo, but we also got Braves and Cubs on TBS and WGN, respectively. It made me a Braves fan in the 90s, but I watched tons of Cubs games too. In undergrad I probably watched over 100 Braves games and maybe 50 Cubs games every year. This was one of the Cubs games.

Key Rockies players currently on IL with injury (games played / fWAR):

Kris Bryant (50 / -0.3)
CJ Cron (36 / -0.5)
Charlie Blackmon (56 / 0.1)
Brendan Rodgers (0 / 0)
Sean Bouchard (0 / 0)

German Marquez (4 / 0.2)
Antonio Senzatela (2 / -0.2)

:harold:

Jurickson Profar was one of their higher projected players preseason and in 67 games he’s posted -1.7 fWAR on abysmal offensive, defensive, and baserunning numbers.

But is he clutch? Does he play the game The Right Way? We have to focus on what really matters.

Seems like he’s most likely playing hurt so check that box for him I guess. Also, filtered for entire Statcast era:

Called strike in Reds-Rockies game about 10 inches high.

Wasn’t even a curve.

ETA: Reds getting screwed royally

1 Like

Dont know much about sports betting but why are the Padres favored over the Giants tonight? Theyre in SF, The Giants have a 6 game lead over them and have beaten them come from behind in two straight games.

Is it because of the starting pitchers?

1 Like

Padres are due because the Giants won the last two

2 Likes

Baseball betting is always primarily about the starting pitchers. Of course, that has to be have been diminished a bit in the current era.

ETA: changed ‘today’ to ‘current era’ above, See next post.

1 Like