Major League Baseball (Part 1)

I guess you can look at Maradona in Napoli as an extreme example

I’ll take it. It’s been awhile

1 Like

Yeah, that was before money ruled the game though.

Point still is that if you happened to have the best player in the world and one of the greatest in history, the impact would be more substantial than in Baseball (it appears. I know a lot less than you guys about Baseball, but it’s clear that the Angels aren’t doing well even with one of the best players in history)

This is basically true. I’d WAG basketball is on one end of this spectrum while baseball is at the other. As they say, the difference between a .300 hitter and a .200 hitter is one hit per week.

The impact is limited for one guy. I grew up in Chicago and my dad grew up on Ernie Banks, who someone mentioned earlier. He won back to back mvps on basically a last place team.

Pitchers only have an impact on less than 20% of the innings played. Everyone else essentially has a relatively equal opportunity to have the same impact as every other starting fielder. You can factor in defense and all the rest but because of the way baseball works you can’t feed your best players to give them an extraordinary portion of the opportunities.

They don’t carry regular season wins like stars in many other sports. And in the playoffs you are unlikely to see a guy create 4 runs consistently in a long series no matter how good they are. And even if they do their impact is heavily reliant on large successes by those around them.

Like I said, baseball stands out in the inability to coach towards your strongest player. Lineups are fine but it is nowhere near what other sports can do. Think about how often Bonds was intentionally walked.

Chadwick Tromp just homered for the Giants again. KAGA.

Tromp Touch 'Em All

Lol eat shit Plesac.

1 Like

LOL, if there’s one hitter in baseball who is patient enough to wait out infinite pickoff attempts, it’s Joey Votto.

1 Like

Sound guy should have had some boos ready for shenanigans like that.

1 Like

Brett Gardner says Hi.

except he’s still getting paid to 2024.

thank you crappy mariners bullpen for finding the A’s bats.

I used to watch when Joe Garagiola was a commentator. Fred Willard played that part perfectly in Best In Show. Joe annoyed the shit out the other commentators.

1 Like

smart about COVID, smart about baseball, funny as hell. GOAT.

https://twitter.com/FOXSportsCincy/status/1290493701286838272?s=20

Coming Wednesday… the most fucked up doubleheader in MLB history. In Philly, the Phillies will bat 1st in the 1st game & 2nd in the 2nd game, 7-inning games, ‘phantom’ runners placed at 2nd starting in the 8th. At least there won’t be any fans there.

Tuesday’s game will be made up as part of a straight doubleheader on Wednesday at Citizens Bank Park. The Yankees will serve as the home team in the first game

ETA: Marlins @ Orioles doubleheader Wednesday just as fucked up too.

Take It To The Bank Prediction:

The last day of the season, the Phillies and Marlins will play a 9-header comprised of nine 1-inning games just so they can finish the damn season.

5 Likes

Mike Soroka torn Achilles, dunzo

He was our opening day starter and de facto ace at 23

:frowning:

As soon as I saw the reply I assumed it was his Achilles.