Major League Baseball (Part 1)

LOL no.

What programming skill level is required to be an effective high volume player?

Knowing the Mets he’ll probably fight injuries all season until put on the DL with a disappointing performance

and it’s only day 1

Trends for you

Trending

Tungsten Arm O’Doyle

What is the reason that seemingly every year there is a ~full slate of games on opening day, and like 5 games on the day after? Can we get an uninterrupted series to start a Yankee season, thanks.

Weather delays. Need the extra day in case.

3 Likes

That’s to make up for specifically opening days that get rained out so they can do opening day the day after? Or just general scheduling strategery to manage bad weather in the early weeks?

Yes. This goes way back. Back in the day, walk up sales were king. Opening day would often be the only large attendance day until Labor Day. They didn’t want to lose that payday.

ETA: upon furthur review, this part is incorrect

This season, the new schedule format means teams can only play 4-game home series vs division rivals, They had all teams play on Thursday. So most all series will require an off-day today, or over the weekend.

1 Like

I guess it’s because opening days are a huge deal for teams and owners don’t want to give up that revenue. Without looking it up I would guess that for lots of teams it would be their highest attendance game of the season.

1 Like
3 Likes

signed a minor league contract with the giants today (yesterday)

You don’t need any programming skills at all. That said, arguably the best player in the world is a professor who specializes in writing optimization algorithms, and he’s developed an LP algo that solves for the max as opposed to mean. No one else in the world has that afaik, and the software / cluster access required to run it is not available to many people.

So I’d set all lineups manually and not write any program to do that for me?

Welp… after the first month of the season, Sabo the dog’s Padres are the worst team in baseball (0-2), while my Red Sox are tied for the second worst team (0-1).

1 Like

No, you pay $79.99/no or whatever for an app that does it for you.

Nasty pitch. Don’t see the batter corkscrew into the ground very often.

4 Likes

Klay’s little bro with 3 home runs today

Wait, are they really brothers?

Edit: google confirms

That’s really cool

Going to the Royals game with my parents today, hoping to see their first run of the season.

MLB seems to be shooting for the youth movement by making the stadium completely inaccessible to Boomers. Buying tickets online then transferring two of them to my aunt took hours, lots of confusion and crying. Multiple confusing phone apps for people like my Mom who don’t really understand the difference between Safari and a phone app. Can’t buy parking at the gate (except you can but you have to read the fine print). Can’t buy anything with cash at the stadium.

Great experience when your average fan age is probably 60!

2 Likes

Thanks for this. One of the easiest free sign ups ever.