Major League Baseball (Part 1)

I believe the Padres know what they’re doing, but I have to say they’re giving me the vibes of a dynasty team manager in fantasy baseball who knows that the league will be folding in 2-3 years.

Chargers leaving for Los Angles has helped the Padres become significantly more popular in San Diego.

Yeah those videos are my life lol

1 Like

Anyone here do fantasy baseball? Any hot tips on some sleepers? Going to have to cheat sheet as I know one team intimately but can name approximately zero Diamondbacks.

Dbacks got this kid named Goldschmidt I think is going to be a big slugger

2 Likes

How deep a league are we talking? If it’s a shallow league, it can make sense to take gambles on guys like Bellinger, etc. where if they are bad again, you can always just grab a decent replacement from waivers.

1 Like

I use Rotoworld for projections and then customize based on my own research. Last year they were abysmal but in previous years have been good.

Closer Monkey for closer info.

1 Like

1 Like

https://twitter.com/bigshelbss/status/1631867775692988416

6 Likes

In his last season he has an OPS+ of, uh, -8. I didn’t know that was even possible.

1 Like

Pitchers and batters trying out new stuff with the clock in play

Looks like it could be interesting at first but become really grating after a while.

1 Like

Pitch clock seems amazing to me. Such a good change.

2 Likes

This is going to be the big Baseball Culture War issue for the year. Every improvement to the game is met by fierce resistance from the old guard. I would expect LOTS of sanctimonious articles from old timey Play The Game The Right Way guys that are Deeply Concerned about what all this means for baseball - nay, FOR AMERICAN CULTURE? What does the pitch clock say about what we have lost in our national identity? Plenty, according to Old Baseball Guy!

1 Like

Haha, but what happens when Old Baseball Guy finds himself on the same side as… (GASP) … Manny Machado?!

1 Like

For what baseball got right with the clock, sanctimonious old guy has an argument to complain about banning the shift and the ghost runner in extra innings and the other stuff around game management. The evolution of a sport at this level should make it more challenging for the players because of natural improvements in ability and tactics. Legislating that stuff out (to see more lefties ground a ball between first and second) is hardly the same as pruning out time wasting crap.

I think he was against the shift in the first place.

Not so sure about this. Especially after they learned how it was done to Ted Williams and even goes back to the '20s.

I didn’t think I’d like the pitch clock much, and I still don’t in theory, but I guess this is what was needed to prevent both pitchers and hitters from dicking around incessantly between pitches. And it really seems like that was all they were doing. The only time I think it may get awkward is in the late innings of a tight and important game, where prolonging the drama seems to be a positive thing.