Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Was just half listening to this podcast about it which might be helpful. It’s a couple of days old tho

Right now, it’s all up for grabs.

What we do know is (a) the NBA and presumably the NHL, are going to let MLB take the lead here, (b) the RSN model looks dead, (c ) a handful of MLB teams own a majority share of their RSN, their cases might be different, and (d) MLB has the experience, in-house talent, and deep enough pockets, to take over the entire production and distribution.

There has been credible chatter of it going the other way too, with MLB going big back into local broadcast tv. My WAG is a mlb.tv+ product will be offered that combines the current mlb.tv plus the games which were formally on your local RSN.

1 Like

Isn’t that just simulcasts of the RSNs?

Yes.

Pitch clock in action bottom of 9th, two outs, bases loaded.

Just get in the box and hit, loser.

2 Likes

They will learn just like tennis players have learned.

Not sure what to think of this, other than good for Manny

Star third baseman Manny Machado and the San Diego Padres have agreed to an 11-year, $350 million contract extension, a team source confirmed to The Athletic. ESPN first reported the news. Here’s what you need to know:

• Machado’s new deal begins this year and includes no opt-outs and a full no-trade clause, according to sources.
  • Machado, who turns 31 on July 6, is now under contract through the 2034 season.
  • He is in his fifth season with the Padres and slashed .298/.366/.531 with 102 RBIs and 32 home runs in 2022.
2 Likes

Mostly just think teams must have been hiding revenue from the MLBPA and now a couple rogue owners are verging on ruining it for the colluders with their spending levels

2 Likes

Plans have changed. Sabo the dog isn’t going to get to see his Padres play a game this spring,

Erm

Glad he’ll be visiting dodger stadium so often every year. He is fun to hate.

Too lazy to look it up - did the Padres get new owners? I feel like they’ve historically been a fairly quiet mid-market team, but in the last year or two have gone bananas on spending.

YORELAREFO

You only run extremely lucrative, antitrust-exempt entertainment franchises once

2 Likes

am sure Sabo has all the juicy details, but iirc the current guy bought it so about 4 years ago from the guy going through a divorce. or something

In 2012, [Peter] Seidler, his uncle Peter [O’Malley], and Ron Fowler formed the O’Malley Group, which purchased the Padres… On November 18, 2020, Major League Baseball approved the transfer of the role of chairman from Fowler to Seidler, who purchased part of Fowler’s stake in the team to become the largest stakeholder

This seems… bad?

He’s 30, so he’s contracted into his year 42 season? How many players show even average aptitude past 38? Ichiro, Sheffield, Bonds? Anybody else even remotely recently that’s playing at a $32 mil a year rate at that age?

Sounds like theyre hanging an untradeable albatross around their neck for at least a 1/4 of the contract

Maybe they’re betting big on massive inflation

I think looking at the back end as $32/year is the wrong way to evaluate this. The back end is just deferred money - they know he won’t be worth it at that age.

So, what would be reasonable for say a 6 year contract - probably 6/250+ (not saying I’d pay that but seems market value). So then you tack on an extra 5 years and $100 million, hoping he’s maybe still playable at 38+ - but it also has the benefit of deferring that money - both in terms of salary cap and inflation.

5 Likes

As a tiger fan. Miggys entire contract was just that.

Still have my favorite Manny Machado moment in my phone!

1 Like