Major League Baseball (Part 1)

You guys are sending me down a rabbit hole here and ruining my work day. I hope you’re happy.

On the topic of aging and SBs, Rickey Henderson led the majors in steals at age 39. WTF Rickey.

Edit: Also Brock managed it at age 35, stealing 118.

2 Likes

6 Likes

This. We’ll see with the new pick-off rules. LOL at the 4.5" shorter distance from the larger bases. I gotta guess it would take even greater changes to flip stealing bases into a +EV strategy in general.

This is probably being overhyped, but I’ve also heard that in leagues where they’ve established firm pitch clocks, players are stealing more bases by just timing their jumps with the countdown (the way that guys blitzing the QB can time the play clock, apparently). There is some speculation that this could also contribute to increased SBs, if the pitch clock is strictly enforced in MLB. But yeah, we’ll see.

1 Like

Lol booing Pena

RIP

With all due respect to Josh Shapiro, if Bryce Harper gets on the ballot for governor, he has my vote.

(Assume people saw the Harper for Governor sign lol)

I presume he lives in NJ, so not a problem as he has a house in South Philly.

1 Like

Moved from wrong thread. Political commercials should be banned from the World Series. All sports actually.

3 Likes

I was sitting behind the dugout at a Giants game that Bonds didn’t play, but at one point he came up and poked his out and Jesus Skydiving Christ it was the size of a watermelon. Maybe two.

Holy shit, Democrats should do this. Seriously. Reduce the exposure of 35+ year old men to political ads, or force the GOP to come out in favor of political hackery during sports after years of “Keep your politics out of my sports!”

Question is how to make it Constitutional? Could it involve leagues’ tax exempt status?

https://twitter.com/itsneeks2/status/1587665441236713477

He wasn’t wrong!

1 Like

Banning political ads only is obviously unconstitutional. Those ads cost the most, so such a ban would also cut into profits. FYI: the leagues don’t have any special tax exempt status.

What could happen is one of the animals could agree internally not to run ads. Or maybe better yet, just run a few generic ads saying how they aren’t going to politicize sports. If the other animal runs the typical ads… who’s going to look better?

The Phillies first World Series win was in 1980. They clinched at home, but their road jerseys were powder blue.

The Phillies second World Series win was in 2008, and they clinched in a game that was suspended by rain.

Now in 2022, a postponement due to rain has moved Game 5 to a Thursday, which means the Phillies could continue their Throwback Thursday trend and wear their 1980 throwback powder blue jerseys in a potential clincher.

#MeantToBe

1 Like

Political ads are sold at the lowest rates, not the highest, up until election day.

I stand corrected. My bad.

1 Like

I thought only the MLB gave up tax-exempt status?

Maybe Dems could pass a tax cut for broadcast entities that ban political ads on sports programming. Call it the Keep Politics Out of Sports Act.

Make Republicans vote against a bill with that name AND a tax cut all at once, or swallow it.

What you a proly thinking about was a kerfuffle regarding the NFL a few years ago.

NFL The League, aka the league office, as opposed to the constituent teams, used to be organized as a non-profit. There was a stink made, and they reorganized as a normal business. That was a complete nothing burger, as the league office doesn’t pay any taxes regardless. The league office provides services to the teams, including notably hiring the officials and collectively bargaining the tv rights. It is funded by the constituent teams on a break even basis. It has no profit to tax.

The constituent teams are taxed.

I don’t know if you are kidding or whatever. Political ads are protected by the 1stA. Any such restriction would require an amendment.

Yeah that’s what I was remembering, given that they negotiate the TV deals I was thinking it might be able to be leveraged in that regard.

The government cutting taxes to coerce the free market to not allow certain ads != the government banning political ads, and I’m genuinely not sure what a conservative SCOTUS would rule if weighing a tax cut against money=speech.