Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Tungsten Arm O’Doyle is not amused.

Scherzer perfect through 6 on 67 pitches and will be pulled.

1 Like

tell me how this any makes sense, I wanted to watch the dodgers game tonight like I usually do on Hulu, it’s just a replay of a different dbacks game, ok, weird.

end up subbing to mlb.tv through amazon, tells me “not available in your area.”

not available in my area? are you fucking kidding me? I’m in LA and it’s a fucking home game. what the fuck man

You never get home market games on mlb.tv. This also includes any secondary market games. So I don’t get Nats or Orioles games.

You also don’t get nationally televised games.

lol, so I have absolutely no way to watch a home game right now without breaking the law. wonderful system

1 Like

actually I think I remember now, doyers signing some horrible deal with directTV that pissed a lot of people off

this is the first time I’ve come across this though, a lot of times I can watch on hulu, at least any game that isn’t guaranteed to be a snoozer.

Yea, this is incredibly annoying as a Red Sox fan living in the Baltimore market where I can’t watch any of the games they play against each other.

Jmakin if your main goal of subbing to mlb.tv was to watch your local team you should just unsub immediately, it’s going to be a frustrating experience.

I don’t know if this is still the case, but I know a few years ago, Des Moines Iowa famously had SIX teams that were blacked out because they were in the secondary market for all of them. (Cubs, White Sox, Brewers, Royals, Cardinals, Twins)

:harold:

All of the Contiguous United States, except for some small, remote, isolated patches, are within at least one team’s blackout territory. Some areas may lie within the territories of two or more. As the accompanying map shows, teams generally have exclusive territorial rights only over their home cities’ immediate area, but even then there are exceptions. For example, all of Texas, including the Houston metropolitan area as well as the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, as well as the entire state of Louisiana, is within both the Astros’ and Rangers’ blackout areas.

Outside of the immediate area, several teams may exercise blackout rights within the same territory. The entire state of Iowa, for example, is within the blackout areas of the Cubs, White Sox, Brewers, Twins, Cardinals, and Royals. Southern Nevada likewise lies within six MLB teams’ blackout territories (Athletics, Giants, Angels, Dodgers, Padres, Diamondbacks). Areas of far western Kansas and the Nebraska panhandle represent an anomaly; although being geographically closer to Denver than Kansas City, they are included in the blackout territory for the Royals and not the Rockies. This is likely a remnant of pre-1993 territorial exclusions, since the Royals were the only team between Kansas City and California, except for the Astros and Rangers, between 1969 and 1992. A similar anomaly is that the El Paso area in Texas is not within the blackout territory of the Arizona Diamondbacks, despite El Paso being considerably closer to Phoenix than to either Texas-based MLB team (the New Mexico side of the El Paso area, by contrast, is within the D-Backs’ blackout zone). This is also likely a remnant of territorial exclusions predating the D-Backs’ 1998 entry into MLB.

MLB relies on ZIP code prefixes (the first three digits of a ZIP code) to determine its blackout areas. For some areas in the West Valley of greater Phoenix, the ZIP code prefix is 853. Because of this, a fan that resides within 10 miles of Chase Field will be blacked out of all online San Diego Padres games. It’s likely this is a remnant of the Padres’ former blackout territory; prior to the Diamondbacks’ arrival, all of Arizona was included in the Padres’ blackout territory.

Local broadcasts are not necessarily available in the whole blackout territory. For example, Bally Sports Wisconsin is unavailable in Iowa, so Milwaukee Brewers games are unavailable in the state.

Due to the fact that they play in Canada, the Toronto Blue Jays do not have any part of their blackout territory in the United States.

And here’s the image:

It’s antiquated bullshit and MLB needs to get rid of it

But if you can watch your local team you’ll never go to the games!!!

The old Scherzer would’ve lost his shit if that happened.

I believe that’s the entire state

they should remove the white sox at least but lol mlb (cubs AAA plays in iowa so there is a thin case for that there)

parts of IL are that minus KC I think

jfc i had no idea of any of that, I guess I usually listen on the radio

Fwiw I’m usually able to get the radio broadcast when the TV is blacked out, but again I’m out-of-market so can’t normally catch the games on the radio.

Well this is a first. I’m in Georgia, trying to watch Brewers/Mets. Supposedly it’s on TBS, but TBS is showing Rays/Astros here. But because it’s supposedly on TBS, it’s blacked out on MLB.tv.

You might want to check again. AFAIK none of the regular season TBS games are not on mlb.tv. I’ve never once had to watch a regular season game on TBS. I’m getting both those games (and both team’s broadcasts) on mlb.tv as I type this.

I met Wills after a game in the parking lot of San Diego Stadium back in the day. He was with late HOFer Don Sutton, and they were chatting with us kids. Some fool got in his face asking for an autograph. The fool was told “no, we’re talking baseball here, don’t be rude”.

That’s not correct, you are getting screwed. I assume the screen grab was from a computer. Can you test access on something like a Ruko? Or your phone? According to this source

When you use a VPN, MLB.TV will see the VPN server’s IP address instead of yours. If you use a VPN server in Vancouver, they’ll think you are in Vancouver. However, that won’t work on devices that have GPS location services. A VPN alone is fine on your computer, Apple TV, or Roku. On your smartphone, Android TV, or Fire TV, it’s much harder to get around MLB.TV’s location rules.

Do you have a VPN, or otherwise have an IP that looks like you are in the Mets or Brewers blackout zone?

ETA: I’m pretty sure they rolled out an update to the Ruko client yesterday or today. It could be mlb,tv is broke right now. Either way, it’s fuvking annoying to pay for these games and not get them.