Major League Baseball (Part 1)

I’m pretty much using the term “major city” to vaguely and loosely refer to top-10 cities over the last 50 years. Definitionally of course, the term “major league city” means hosts a MLB team. Buffalo was a “major league city” in 2020, but I would never call Buffalo a “major city”.

ETA:

I imagined there would be more quibbling over the “never won a major championship” claim…

Is San Diego normally considered a city? I have always though of it more as a suburb of LA.

1 Like

Similarly if MLB counts as a major sport, surely NCAAF does as well.

It’s the center of a top-20 MSA.

I could argue that “major league” (uncapitalized) means the highest league in a given sport, so the NFL is football’s major league, not NCAAF.

And MSAs only count the US side of town. San Diego and Tijuana are a single city, that just happens to be politically partitioned. But quibbling aside, the reason I brought this up to begin with was as background.

As always, it depends on the Padres stepping up on the field and going toe-to-toe with the Dodgers for a period of time… something else that’s never, never, ever happened before, but if that every actually did happen…

The Padres - Dodgers rivalry would go seriously off the charts. No kidding. Like “Giants, who cares” from Dodger fan territory.

Or San Diego, El Paso, Honolulu, San Jose, Fort Worth, Las Vegas, Louisville, Memphis, Albuquerque, Sacramento, and Mesa if we’re counting cities with a population of greater than 500,000

Man, I can physically feel the choking. Its like a vice around my throat.

3 Likes

Get in line behind the Leafs of the past couple of decades? But yeah you are up there.

Hell, they arent even my team, just the one of the town I grew up in. I get second hand choking by being associated with the city.

6 Likes

Cow Palace is an all time great name for a pro sports venue, though.

1 Like

For SD, one of the worst trades in baseball history. They are 11.5 back and didn’t leap frog the Dodgers, Mets , Yankees or Houston. They acquired incredible talent but are still a wild card and don’t have the October pitching to match up w healthy Mets of dodgers

They have a great core for the next X years.

If this was the NBA, sure. Three elite players and you’re golden there.

They might not have the cash to keep Tatis Jr, Machado, and Soto on long-term deals though. They could end up trading Soto in the end if they can’t agree to a deal.

Angels hit 7 home runs today. And lost 8-7.

6th team in history to hit 7 and lose.

4 Likes

The bouncy ball must be making a comeback.

So that Hader trade isn’t working out too well for the Brewers so far. They got swept by the Pirates and have lost their last five to Pittsburgh, all when leading in the 6th or later.

The last two losses were walkoffs in the 9th and 10th. Homer given up by Devin Williams, his first run given up in 30+ appearances, and a wild pitch by Matt Bush, who they acquired in a trade after the Hader trade.

Oh, and they DFA’d one of the guys they got for Hader.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1555576901468577792

1 Like

I had breakfast at a restaurant called Cow Palace south of Tuscon in 1992ish. Looked like a barn inside and out. Can’t recall the food, but the name stuck.

1 Like