Major League Baseball (Part 1)

vZwP8A

Padres just beat the Phillies 1-0 on an Austin Nola RBI off Aaron Nola

Mark Appel called up by the phillies at 30 years old, was a #1 pick from the stros years back, didn’t play baseball for a few years from injuries

1 Like

Mikolas Goat

Me Co Las

Orioles Magic!

https://twitter.com/Orioles/status/1540811072751403008

Los Angeles Angels’ pitcher with a nice hit

https://twitter.com/Angels/status/1540898261162008577

6kwkx9

3 Likes

Ohtani needs to go on loan at the trade deadline. He won’t because LAA want to re-sign him, but it should.

freeman didn’t want to leave but the agents said “here’s an offer you have one hour” and the braves took that as a take it or leave it so they moved on

important to make sure the agent knows what you want as a player, so they don’t try to play a little hardball if you actually don’t care about that

Kremer has arrived

@Yuv

https://twitter.com/flashpicks/status/1542212923795324932

2022 8

Getting to the games, and getting back safely, are part of these outings too. Safely, as we were reminded coming back from Rancho Cucamonga a couple of weeks. The stretch of I-15 where the car driving back from a game was totaled has been rebuilt. Nobody was hurt thankfully, including Sabo the dog, who was closest to the point of impact.

Last week we drove, took a Lyft, and Sabo rode his very first real train (he has also been on a couple of tourist trains: from Felton to Santa Cruz, and in Poway). We drove from San Diego to the Perris-South Metrolink station; took a Lyft the 2.3 miles into downtown Perris ($16.79 inc tip); rode the train back to Perris-South ($2); then continued the drive to San Bernardino (~$80 r/t). Shortly we’re going to Lyft to where my car was being worked on, then drive to Lake Elsinore.

In the SDDC race, the D’backs organization dodged three bullets on three consecutive days last week. As mentioned, on Tuesday I dropped the ball, and didn’t take Sabo to see the MLB team at Petco Park. Their loss in that game would have eliminated them. Wednesday, we made the trip up to San Bernardino. That game was suspended without a score after the 4th because, I guess, there was lightning in the area. Pre-covid, this partial game would have been cancelled instead of suspended. If it was cancelled, it would have literally been a “double elimination” game, as both the D’backs (Visalia Rawhide) -and- Angels (Inland Empire 66ers) organizations would have been eliminated, while the yet to play Rockies would remain alive. The third bullet was the Rawhide still had to win the completion of the Wednesday on Thursday. Which they did 3-2, eliminating the Angels and Rockies.

2022-6-29, 6:05pm: Inland Empire 66ers (A, Angels 1-2) @ Lake Elsinore Storm (Padres 1-0)

This will be Sabo’s 4th visit to Lake Elsinore’s Diamond. In the SDDC race, after dodging those three bullets last week, the D’backs organization (2-0) is in first and, as the schedule now stands, safely in the clubhouse. In fact, they clinch the SDDC championship with a 66ers win tonight. Source: Captains, the official home of All-Star Sabo-Metrics.

2 Likes

Seems like this would come up more often.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/06/30/nationals-pirates-controversial-play/

Never heard of Official Baseball Rule 5.09(c) (4)? Join the club. It popped up Wednesday. If you have no use for esoteric baseball minutia, turn the page and eat your cereal. If you love that kind of stuff, pull up a chair.

In the fifth inning of a tie game, the Pirates had runners on second and third with one out. Ke’Bryan Hayes hit a soft liner to Bell, who caught it before it hit the turf. The Pirates’ runners — Jack Suwinski at third and Hoy Park at second — broke to advance without tagging up, apparently thinking the ball bounced before Bell snared it for the second out. Bell saw Suwinski heading home and third baseman Ehire Adrianza still manning his spot. [Nats fan tracks pitchers’ poor starts, one stinker at a time] “Nobody was tagging up,” Bell said. “I threw it to Adrianza there. It was wild because he makes a tag [and] he touches third. It was one of those scenarios where we didn’t think we had to do anything else.”

Why would they have to do anything else? Bell threw across the diamond, and Adrianza easily applied a tag on Park. Count ’em up. That’s one, two, three outs. The alphabet has 26 letters. Heinz has 57 varieties. There are three outs in an inning. What, now you’re going to tell me there are 51 states? (Man, we can dream.) Pirates Manager Derek Shelton originally came out to argue that Bell hadn’t caught the ball in the air. But as Wegner gathered his crew, they considered something else: The third out wasn’t a force play, so it became a “timed” play. The important part: Adrianza’s tag of Park came after Suwinski had crossed home plate. So Suwinski’s run would count. A tie game turned into a 4-3 Pittsburgh lead. “They came over and said, ‘Okay, because of the tag play at third base, it was going to be double play, run scores,’ ” Shelton said. “Then once from there, it turned into a different conversation.” Heated, at times. The Nationals are in last place in the National League East and are likely to finish there. Their season is about figuring out what pieces will help for the future and what pieces they can trade for more of that future help. But every single day they show up at the ballpark, they want to win. “It stinks,” Bell said. “Especially to lose this game by one.”

Afterward, Martinez — whose club had won six of eight and has mostly cleaned up the embarrassing brand of baseball it played to open the season — was still incensed. “I felt like we did everything right,” Martinez said. “We caught the ball. He threw it. He tagged the runner and the base. They said he didn’t touch the base.” More murkiness here. Adrianza’s only thought: “Tag the runner and tag the base,” he said. But Wegner’s explanation was that it didn’t matter whether third base umpire Jeremie Rehak had seen Adrianza touch the base. “At that point, if the third baseman wants to say, ‘I want to appeal that the guy that just scored from third left early,’ then we call what’s called the ‘fourth out,’ and then he can step on the base for that,” Wegner said. “But it has to be an intentional-type thing. You can’t just incidentally step on the base.” Wegner read directly from the rule book as he explained this: If defensive players want to appeal for that fourth out, “they have to do that before the defensive team leaves the field, which is when the pitcher and all infielders have left fair territory on their way to the bench or the clubhouse.”

2 Likes

Major League Baseball (Part 1) - #2086 by Sabo : … an exceedingly rare situation called the “fourth out”… According to today’s Wikipedia… the rule has come into play four times since 1989. In practice, this has taken a fuck-up…

This is the 2nd time the fourth out has been mentioned ITT. IIRC now 3/5 times since 1989 the fielding team fucked up by not appealing when they could have.

I really nice article about A League of Their Own and actress Megan Cavanagh, who played Marla Hooch.

1 Like

Happy Bobby Bonilla Day!

I really think the Mets should have leaned into this as a franchise a long time ago. Invite Bobby Bonilla to the first home game in July every year. Make a big celebration out of it. Present him with one of those giant checks for $1.19 Million.

5 Likes

Obligatory:
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1542818390754091008

1 Like

I think this is also the day when former Milwaukee Buck Larry Sanders gets paid.

Lord Byron just rekt my poor Orioles.