Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Obviously a horrendous call, but I think I’d be more peeved if a ball there makes it a favorable hitters count. Easy to say that as a neutral observer though, vs. a fan invested in the game outcome.

I was going to make a snarky comment that Wilmer can’t hit RHP so 1-2 vs. Scherzer he’s still not doing anything. But his RHP splits this year weren’t far off his LHP numbers.

Lol at putting your season on the line with an ex-Met. Ofc it was going to end in a highly painful and suspect manner.

2 Likes

Reviewing balls and strikes would be terrible, the game would last an extra half hour. They could do fewer reviews as is, the up was right 90% of the time they review it. People should learn to accept bad calls.

Isn’t there still literally no hard language in the rulebook about what constitutes a swing? People talk about breaking of the wrists and bat reaching the front of the plate and all that, but I think the rules officially just say the umpire shall determine whether he thinks the batter offered at the ball or whatever. So basically you’re at the umpire’s mercy, and just like with balls and strikes, it’s just a matter of whether the guy is internally consistent.

I doubt there’s a ton of data on umpires’ check swing calls though like there are for how he calls pitches behind the plate in general, of course. And within a single game you’ll rarely have enough check swing calls from one side of the plate to get some idea that “this guy is calling his swings super tight tonight”, etc.

1 Like

MLB reviews are overturned nearly half of the time.

1 Like

You should learn to accept incorrect posts.

3 Likes

I believe the 1B ump’s call is technically an appeal and and overrule, which should mean a higher standard to overturn than just “making a call”. Although in practice home plate umps have largely just punted that call to the 1B ump.

But still I think the overrule idea should hold some merit and the ump shouldn’t be out there making 50/50 calls on appeals to first base. So if you err on the side of say 60/40 it’s a lot less likely to make a call that bad in that spot.

1 Like

I’d better get this streaming situation figured out before my relatives arrive tomorrow. Currently listening on ESPN radio, but I don’t think that will be acceptable. Is anyone watching on YouTube TV?

Sale making a mess of things here

Delightful 30 minute inning

And again

Super efficient 45 pitches through 2. A miracle catch to not give up more than 1.

Astros perfect USA metaphor - cheated and won with zero consequence?

Kike saving Sale

On 2p2 I vehemently defended sale’s last two outings and he rewards me by pitching even worse tonight

1 Like

He struck out like 40% of batters and has a BABIP of .875. He has no such excuses tonight

Lol
Astros

Asstros
Astrlols

Aloltuve

I’m not up on analytics but isn’t Dusty Baker the absolute WOAT?