Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Lamont missed a winner by a milisecond.

Wow.

Holy shit the replay.

What a fucking rob job

WTF is that?

Ouch. I’m a transplanted Dodger fan but that’s a brutal freaking way for the Giants to lose, after an amazing season.

What a horseshit way to end the game.

Yikes. Terrible call to end game. But I’ll take it. Cause I got a ticket in the World Series. Got the Braves at 18-1 and Dodgers at +375. $50 each. Go Braves!!

1 Like

Scherzer was throwing very hitable pitches

Not for whoever Wilmer Flores is

Horrible call though for sure.

https://twitter.com/pavlovicnbcs/status/1448870951190474754

Jopke

Uggggggh

always awesome when they ask a player on the winning team right after his team won on a bad call, “what did you see?” as if he’s going to acknowledge that it was a bad call and his team did not, in fact, win the game legitimately.

Especially when the player was in center field at the time.

1 Like

Lol no he wasn’t. He was either outside the zone, on the corners, or at a speed they weren’t looking for (as evidenced by the fact they weren’t even swinging)

As a tigers fan. SF and romo and y’all can lick nuts and go home.

1 Like

Another President’s trophy curse

Sometimes umps are just fucking morons. Try to have at least a modicum of understanding of the situation. You simply can’t be wrong in that spot.

Noone’s gonna care nearly as much if it was very slightly a swing and you called it a ball, but to ring the guy up you have to be 110% sure.

Just like the dipshit who wrecked Galarraga’s perfect game. You just give the fucking perfect game unless it’s the most obvious safe call.

1 Like

I’ve seen this take a lot (not just here and not just this game or even this sport), and I could not disagree more.

It should be the job of the official to get the call correct. Factors that affect the importance of the call like the score or the time/inning should be completely irrelevant.

I hear this in the NBA a lot: “Let the players play. You can’t call that foul in the last 20 seconds of a tie game.” Bullshit. Yes you can. If it’s a foul in the first 20 seconds, it’s a foul in the last 20 seconds.

The real crime here is this concept of unreviewable plays. What the fuck is that nonsense? Everything should be reviewable. The importance of a call isn’t dictated by what type of call it is. A missed fair/foul or HBP might be just as consequential as a check swing or bad ball/strike call, yet the first two are reviewable and the last two aren’t. That’s just stupid.

Yeah I’m transplanted from Detroit and I’m still salty af about 2012

2 Likes

This is why I was shocked that the ref called that last second foul in Virginia’s Final Four game a couple years ago, when Kyle Guy went to the line and made three FTs with less than a second left. It was clearly a foul, but we always see refs eat their whistles in late-game situations.

I think with the check swing last night, part of eyebooger’s point is that if the batter went around by a hair and it was called a non-swing, people wouldn’t be nearly as upset about that - since it would have been really close - than they are now on an obvious non-swing called a strike. Not only was it not even close to a swing, but it immediately ended the game, whereas calling a barely-swing a ball would still give the pitcher a chance to get the guy out (provided it wasn’t like a walk-off walk or something).

But yes, I agree that more things should be reviewable and it shouldn’t matter when in the game it is.

If Flores eventually gets out, sure.

But if he hits the 1-2 pitch over the fence, ending the series, then the Dodgers fans would (correctly) say “But the game should have been over”.

This is true. Bottom line is this: robo umps and video review.