Major League Baseball (Part 1)

No. Also, I posed this Q before that abomination was adopted.

The new extra inning rule does make pitching a perfect games harder however. With the new rule H.Haddix loses his perfect game in the 10th by the ‘phantom runner’, not in the 13th by an error.

ETA: this seems to be wrong, see my next post

So just by going into the 10th, the pitcher loses the perfect game?

They have a similar one for NBA next Friday.

It seems I got this one wrong.

The definition of no-hitter and perfect game aren’t in Rule 9 (in the playing rules). Instead, right at this very instant, MLB sez…

MLB Miscellany: Rules, regulations and statistics

Perfect games and No-hitters:
An official perfect game occurs when a pitcher (or pitchers) retires each batter on the opposing team during the entire course of a game, which consists of at least nine innings. In a perfect game, no batter reaches any base during the course of the game.

An official no-hit game occurs when a pitcher (or pitchers) allows no hits during the entire course of a game, which consists of at least nine innings. In a no-hit game, a batter may reach base via a walk, an error, a hit by pitch, a passed ball or wild pitch on strike three, or catcher’s interference.

If we assume that the two sentences that start “In a …” are explanations, and not part of the rules themselves, we have this situation: (a) both of the “In a…” sentences are now broken -and- a phantom runner would not end a perfect game. Which would mean a pitcher could have runners on base in a perfect game… and could also end up being the losing pitcher. Yikes.

The other way that a pitcher could always pitch a perfect game and not get a win is this: the game is suspended after 9 pitching innings and ends up as a tie. In both cases both pitchers could pitch perfect games.

1 Like

Does the extra innings runner count as a batter?

No.

The placement of the phantom runner generates no hitting stats or pitching stats. The phantom runner generates on-base stats (SB, CS, R scored, LOB), and is on-base unearned for ERA purposes.

ETA: Also before there had to be an error to generate unearned runs. This is no longer true.

Wow Guerrero Jr looks to have gained some weight in the off season. Really slow around the bases.

Ohtani pitching today. Should be fun

3 Likes

A couple years ago I was at a work event at our minor league team. I was talking with my boss’s boss’s boss and their boss. I interrupted the conversation when Vlad Jr came up saying we need to stop and watch him. Two pitches later he hit it literally into the parking lot for a HR. Felt like Mike McD impressing the judges with my knowledge of the game.

3 Likes

Haha, nice.

The Dodgers are the new Bills

I can’t wait for cable to die so we can have mlb.tv without blackouts. Ridiculous that they are charging $60 this year.

2 Likes

It’s a bargain at 1$ a day.

Well worth it

2 Likes

I’m just can’t believe that it looks like MLB Extra Innings is finally in HD this year. It was mind-boggling to me that like one game per day was in HD. I don’t subscribe to the package, but the first week of the season has always been free. Appears to be the case again this season.

EDIT: It’s actually a good setup now. On Xfinity, each team has a channel, rather than there just being a bunch of different Extra Innings channels, requiring you to scroll through each one to find the game you want. And the feed looks like it’s from MLB.tv.

EDIT 2: Looks like Xfinity is charging $90 for this season? lol

1 Like

HAHAHA, of fucking COURSE it’s the Reds who are going to have the COVID outbreak…we can never ever ever fucking have anything go right for us.

Matt Davidson played opening day and tested positive, and now Moustakas and Senzel are scratched because they “aren’t feeling well”.

I want to throw things.

4 Marlins just tested positive, too. That subscription might be more than $1/day if the season only lasts two weeks, Mike.

2 Likes

everyone going to be playing their minor league back benchers by week 3 of the season

1 Like

I’m a diehard Red Sox fan and 60$ is worth it just to watch the away feed so I don’t have to listen to the Eck do the home feeds. Who is your rooting interest? I noticed the degen Astro fan ( luckily ) never found his way over here .

#31 w the Bronson Arroyo throwback hair.