Major League Baseball (Part 1)

so many new posts I thought the pirates did something dumb again

1 Like

Well this kid had a pretty rough day and what’s the difference between the tigers and the pirates anyhow

https://mobile.twitter.com/JomboyMedia/status/1403856586037137414

Try running on me again

You know, there’s plenty of ways for ball players to play the fool when the ball is in play. It’sj ust bizarre to have this occasional twilight zone period where play is out, but party foul rules still apply.

If it’s fun, let’s have more.

That’s where the HR maze comes in. The whole stadium gets to watch a jock high on hitting a dinger try to run a maze without crossing a line. It could take him awhile. Man, lets keep stats on that too. Longest time in the HR maze. Or… how about a “field of dreams” maze beyond the fenses.The dinger hitter can’t see the rest of the maze, they’d run in circles, lost.

Should be fun in football too, right? Let’s come up with some stupid rule that if a player steps on a chalk line between a TD and the try try (extra point), they lose the td, but they can still try the try.

:baseball: :baseball: :baseball:

OK, best I got so far…

Runner on 1st ,0-1 count… Ball hit out down the line. Fair? Foul?.. it goes to replay. During the replay, a skunk runs onto the infield. The players scatter. After the skunk wanders off, replay comes back.

If the ball is ruled foul: it’s a strike
If the ball is ruled fair: It’s a homer or an out, depending if the batter and runner ‘crossed’ during the skunk scatter. It’s a stupid rule.

1 Like

At Rays-O’s game. Just saw starting pitcher for O’s spend a min or 2 loading up on rosin by putting it on both arms.

3 Likes

Probably loading up on sunscreen too because that afternoon sun is brutal inside the Trop.

2 Likes

I just realized why the human ball/strike calls irritate me so profoundly. Since none of my friends ever watched a baseball game you’ll have to suffer with reading things that are either intuitively known to everyone here or just plain wrong.

At first I thought it was similar to kicking a field goal without goal posts, only to have a ref judge roughly if it was within the imaginary boundaries. But now I realize that misses out on the biggest issue. While a “perfect” field goal is basically any successful kick, a kick right down the middle would be the preferred one. That kick would never be at risk of being called ‘not good’.

In Baseball quite often the pitches that are mistakenly called balls are the best pitches. The pitches that are mistakenly called strikes are the best taken pitches by the batters. So the variance here isn’t only from success to fail in general, but it is specifically targets virtuosity.

This might be an exaggeration and certainly is stating the obvious, but I thought of this watching Nick Castellanos (hi @skydiver8) in a few different at bats make “perfect” decisions as to what balls to swing at, only to be called out on strikes. He could have swing at those pitches and achieve better results, but that would be the ‘wrong’ play if the pitches are correctly called. So not only did he fail at his at-bat, but he failed because he was excellent at his job.

7 Likes

Right, that is a nice observation. Also take into account that the strike zone greatly expands when in favor of the batter (3-0) and greatly contracts when in favor of the pitcher (0-2) to further fuel your outrage.

As expected, the lowest rate comes from 0-2 counts, and the highest rate comes from 3-0 counts. But the difference is shocking. A pitch in the same location is called a strike 26.46% more often, just because of the count.

They should bring in the computer zone for the all-star game. One demonstration and it’s in.

Edit: Yuv, never thought of it that way. Interesting.

dbacks are 2-24 last 26, 3-9 the 12 before that.

Didn’t think a professional baseball team could tank that bad. Even that god awful tigers team won some games.

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/1404244663217934337

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1404242017094356995

https://twitter.com/UmpireAuditor/status/1399142391865503745?s=20

Here’s a great example. The ball approaches the plate in what could arguably be called the strike zone, then moves outside at the very end, near the plate. Obviously, the ump has decided it’s a strike BEFORE the lateral movement occurs, even though when the ball reaches the plate, it’s 5 inches outside.

It seems to me that this is a human eyesight/brain processing/timing issue, so I’m not entirely sure what makes some umps able to call something like this correctly. Obviously, good batters can distinguish this a lot of the time, maybe it’s just the amount of practice and brain training that makes the difference.

Catcher framing is a great skill that would be lost if we had robots call balls and strikes

but i am still in favor of it

But catcher framing shouldn’t exist in the first place.

3 Likes

that is the equivalent of flopping as a skill

3 Likes

Just rambling here but -

does mets have a good take on anything? I mean JFC, you would think he’d get lucky eventually with a good take on something, anything.

good point, I missed that.

BTW, good to see you back.

1 Like

2 Likes

Also we know that umpires mostly read the catchers because on cross-ups up they fail to call pitches that are dead middle. It puts me on life tilt. Check out BALL TWO here:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PlumpAstonishingEgret-mobile.mp4

1 Like

Robots and things get weird because there wouldn’t be a need for a catcher for parts of the game.

I agree with needing a lot less umpire doing whatever the fuck he wants with the strike zone but there would have to be more hard rules added into the game.