Major League Baseball (Part 1)

https://mobile.twitter.com/Metsmerized/status/1399555512597987329

deGrom had a higher wRC+ than Ohtani

I have no idea what that is

WHEN THEY GET BETWEEN THE WHITE LINES THEY PUT IT ALL ON THE LINE!

1 Like

I really hate that stuff like that is called a double.

Give an error to the center fielder.

It is weird, like if they both tried to grab it and collided, with the ball popping out of someone’s glove, is that an error?

The other thing that is related is when the fielder loses the ball in the sun they usually don’t give an error, right?

It’s almost always the custom that can only be an error if somebody touches it. Which seems wrong reading the MLB rules (relevant parts in bold):

http://www.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y2007/10_the_official_scorer.pdf

Rule 10.12(a)(1) Comment: Slow handling of the ball that does not involve mechanical misplay shall not be construed as an error. For example, the official scorer shall not charge a fielder with an error if such fielder fields a ground ball cleanly but does not throw to first base in time to retire the batter. It is not necessary that the fielder touch the ball to be charged with an error. If a ground ball goes through a fielder’s legs or a fly ball falls untouched and, in the scorer’s judgment, the fielder could have handled the ball with ordinary effort, the official scorer shall charge such fielder with an error. For example, the official scorer shall charge an infielder with an error when a ground ball passes to either side of such infielder if, in the official scorer’s judgment, a fielder at that position making ordinary effort would have fielded such ground ball and retired a runner. The official scorer shall charge an outfielder with an error if such outfielder allows a fly ball to drop to the ground if, in the official scorer’s judgment, an outfielder at that position making ordinary effort would have caught such fly ball. If a throw is low, wide or high, or strikes the ground, and a runner reaches base who otherwise would have been put out by such throw, the official scorer shall charge the player making the throw with an error.

To me, that was textbook “ordinary effort”.

1 Like

This reminds me of one of my favorite baseball things - pitchers getting mad at the official scorer for not calling something an error, resulting in earned runs charged to the pitcher.

They should each get charged with 1/2 an error.

1 Like

I was always taught that on fly balls, the order of precedence if multiple players can get it goes by furthest away from home plate and left to right if equal.

So CF > LF > RF > SS > 2B > 3B > 1B > P > C

By that logic, it should be center fielder’s ball, and thus center fielder’s error for not catching it.

1 Like

They should charge the catcher with an error on that play because fuck him that’s why.

I think that is part of the problem is that miscommunications between fielders historically don’t get scored as an error because it’s not clear who screwed up. The general rule is CF has final authority but sometimes the CF can call for a ball that he has a hell of a run for that the RF can catch easily and it puts the RF in a tough spot. Happened to me once when I was in RF and our CF called for a ball that was hit damn near right to me. I backed away and the guy missed a diving catch as the ball landed 10 feet in front of me. I’ll admit the CF has a tough job as they basically have to ultimately decide if it’s the corner guys catch or not, and sometimes as a corner guy you don’t necessarily want to call for a ball you aren’t 100% sure you can get to, and you have no idea if the CF can get there either.

There’s some traditions around errors too, like it’s never an error if you fail to convert a DP even if it’s a routine DP.

A while back someone proposed the concept of “team errors” for situations like that. They wouldn’t get credited to any individual player but would still show up as errors. Something like E-T instead of E-9.

1 Like

they should give half errors the way football gives half sacks

1 Like

I am going to Mets at Pittsbugh on July 16th and Mets at Cincinnati July 20th. Any must sees/must eats at these ballparks?

I’m still laughing at that clown on the Pirates that was never charged with an error even though he made 3 on the same play.

1. Didn’t step on 1st
  2. Didn’t tag Baez
  3. Threw to the catcher

yeah giving a fielders choice with 2 outs makes no sense

2 Likes

Anyone else want to take this?

It’s Skyline time

Apparently Frazier ran such a bad route he made this play look spectacular. It had a 95% catch probability LOL.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Yankees/status/1399903552332574720

1 Like

Odubel Herrera, Andrew Mccutchen, Kolten Wong, Tyrone Taylor, Eric Haase, Jonathan Schoop and Salvador Perez all had multiple HR games today. I guess they ran out of sticky stuff.

where can you see the catch % on a ball? Cause this Tyler O’neill catch now basically cost my son his college fund.

https://twitter.com/BallySportsMW/status/1399965316143276033