Major League Baseball (Part 1)

Jomboy is fast

My daughter’s U10 softball team just had an unassisted triple play. Bases loaded, line drive back to the pitcher, she catches it. None of the runners know what to do, so she sprints to third for the 2nd out. Then, instead of tagging the runner from 2nd or going to 2nd, she sprinted across the diamond to first.

5 Likes

there’s two outs and the pirates second baseman has to be in shock watching this like the rest of us The only way he’s needed is if the 1B just somehow inexplicably drops the baseball or this which I’ve never fathomed could happen on a professional level.

I’m just here for the LOL pirates, even better that ended up costing them 2 runs (baez scored) in a game they lost by 2 runs.

hopefully pirates 1B simply thought there was one out for this comedy of errors to occur. The inning is over with zero more runs if the 1B steps on the bag, tags the runner at any point, the catcher tags anyone, or baez is thrown out at first and none of this happened.

The Pirates 1b didn’t even get an error for the play. They scored it as a fielder’s-choice, and then an error on the catcher that allowed Baez to go to second, so the run was earned.

1 Like

https://gfycat.com/recentkaleidoscopickestrel-pittsburgh-baseball-chicago-pirates-cubs-2021-mlb

1 Like

I was shopping for tickets today for this game and then decided i dont want to fight traffic.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/AlexxLawson/status/1397978834977370117

4 Likes

Phillies and Rays have 27 combined strikouts through 7 innings.

Yeah. I think virtually all of MLB’s issues are largely ball-related. Seriously. The sticky stuff theory makes absolute sense as compared to the idea that pitchers suddenly just figured out after all these decades how to spin the ball better based solely on tecnhique.

I don’t know. Just seems like sticky stuff or higher seams or something is a more likely factor in increased spin rate. Easy fix is just to crack down hard on all things sticky…except maybe for rosin, and see how the spin rate changes.

geez tatis

https://twitter.com/Padres/status/1398790671033520130

Right. And there’s something they’re doing physically that they weren’t doing before? What is it they’re doing? Bauer didn’t mention any techniques other than increased use of sticky stuff.

The traditional substances MLB cared about were slippery stuff used to create spitball effects, or items pitchers hid to scuff the ball to get more unpredictable break. But the idea that more grip = more spin = more break = harder to hit doesn’t seem like rocket science. It was 2006 when old ass Kenny Rogers was dominating the postseason despite an 88 mph fastball, and all eyes were on his hand smudge. Questions linger over substance on Rogers' left hand - ESPN. The dude had a curve ball that was dropping out of the sky back then.

Its probably coming into fashion as pitchers are realizing everyone is doing it and they need to as well to keep up, much like epo use in cycling was. Far too often sports end up in this gray area where there is widespread cheating out in the open and the governing bodies look the other way until they don’t then decide to make an example out of a few poster boys forcing everyone else to clean up.

Pitchers are basically cheating in the open right now.

Need to show the previous pitch to show just how unlikely this comeback was

https://twitter.com/SportsTalk790/status/1398796574155853829?s=20

1 Like

Bauer was one of the first major clients of Driveline, where their main focus is drills and analysis to increase velocity and spin rate. I pretty sure that was a big reason for him developing elite spin rate.

lol kyleb ruining baseball is pretty good stuff

7 Likes

Seems like the easiest thing to do is just have the same pitcher throw clean baseballs and doctored baseballs to tell how much the sticky stuff affects things. I think the underlying thing though is that fans don’t really see spin rate. They just see guys striking out and that’s boring.

Really didn’t expect the Mets to continue their winning ways after Joneshwy Fargas got hurt.