Leaving The US

I think ZZ’s point about the lottery is that once you have the citizenship you can go live anywhere in the EU.

2 Likes

Uh lol if that’s true uhm I’m stupid for not knowing that.

Anywhere in the Schengen zone as far as I know.

Yah, I’d pay 5 figures for that Latvian citizenship.

Unfortunately for me, I’m 5th or 6th gen. American, so no loopholes to live in Europe.

For now, I’m happy in Mexico City, but would like to live in Europe someday and Spain seems like it might be doable as long as you’ve got mid 5 figures stashed away that you can show to get their non-lucrative residency visa (meaning you can’t work there).

I’ve even looked at places in the Balkans where supposedly you can get easy residence with basically any real estate purchase over $25k. Although that would be a much harder sell for my Mexican girlfriend.

I lived in Montreal for 2 years and my French still wasn’t that good by the time I left, and I didn’t feel like I missed out on much. Practically half the island is anglophone now and you could easily live in the western half without ever speaking French, although it’d be a shame to live there and not at least make the effort to get to an intermediate level.

It’s true. There are rules about access to social welfare stuff based on employment and they can vary, but coming from the US that shouldn’t make much difference!

1 Like

We were hoping to live on a trawler and tour around the Atlantic intracoastal waterway/Great Loop our early retirement years. But now we are considering GTFO and Spain is one of the places we will probably check out once travel is safe. (We still have 8-10 years to go so who knows what will actually happen.)

Seems like a decent spot. Great weather, some great cities, and among the lowest cost of living in W. Europe. I’ve gotta visit with my girlfriend once travel is safe and see if she loves Europe as much as I do. We’re still probably 3-5 years away too.

Shouldn’t that say “mid 6 figures” as in like half a million?

1 Like

Our biggest issue with Spain is that neither one of us can speak a bit of Spanish. But I figure we could get by and learn and hopefully everybody wouldn’t hate us lol.

I can understand the desire to GTFO of USA#1. And if it’s best for you and your family, do it. Respect.

If the only reason I was leaving was RWNJ-related, I would feel like I was letting those MFers win by default. (Again, respect to everyone’s individual situation and perspective)

If you you’re OK with heat, check out Panama. US dollar currency, relatively safe and secure, and Caribbean & Pacific Ocean beaches.

1 Like

Agreed. My wife and I are a generation off from getting Italian citizenship, and no matter how much of a dumpster fire that country is right now we would gladly take it to get our EU mobility ability

I choose to believe his name is too

Hard to be more deplorable than an American white guy pretending to be a Hispanic from Canada.

You can get by with either English or Russian if you’re unwilling to learn Latvian.

I visited there for a week. The flat I stayed in was pretty damn weird and visually speaking it appears a bit sketchy in some residential areas but overall it’s not a bad place to be.

But the great benefit of having that citizenship is to live elsewhere in the European Union if you’re not keen on Riga.

Do you have a lisp?

No, but I do have a different speech impediment, from growing up north of Boston.

Juan Valdez is a famous Colombian coffee company.

Spain would be a possibility for me. I supposedly have a Spanish great-grandmother and though it’s not a guarantee or anything Spain has something about letting Jews back in in light of the expulsion and killing and stuff.

In some of those rankings Panama wins in happiness/life satisfaction.