Leaving The US

Some white expats, I assume, are good people.

3 Likes

Just curious, how good was your Japanese your first time around?

Iā€™m guessing itā€™s also easier to fit in in more developed countries. Being an expat in SEA or C America, youā€™re just in such radically different life positions (a kajillionaire) than the vast vast majority of the locals.

Gotta be fairly rare in South East Asia though given how many of them are arrested for sex crimes/have fled sex crimes charges in their home country.

If you get out of the country before youā€™re actually convicted, youā€™re still innocent right?!

Although in reality, most of it is just dudes who suck with women back home and get off on how far being white and having money gets you in SEA

1 Like

Gonna need a carve out for Singapore here. Ainā€™t no one confusing me for a kajillonaire there. Also me vs a local is different but definitely not radically different.

Well said and from guys I know itā€™s definitely this. They mostly teach English there without learning the native language.

Ha, fair enough! From now on when Iā€™m generalizing about SEA Iā€™ll say ā€œSouth East Asia minus Singapore and Bruneiā€ SEAMSB

:vince2:

2 Likes

So far the agencies Iā€™ve dealt with other than USCIS have managed to get back to me quickly and efficiently - the NY State County Clerk sent me everything back with fairly detailed instructions on how I can obtain proper documentation. Iā€™m really not sure that itā€™s malicious on the part of the government as opposed to typical government bureaucracy that results in inefficiency. I also hired a Czech lawyer to help me which I should have done months ago; I was in contact with someone briefly but he ghosted me for some reason or other.

First time around was as an exchange student still learning the language. But progressed enough so after one year back in the States I went back for an additional year of school and then a couple years of work, by which time my language ability was advanced enough that I was translating highly technical Japanese.

1 Like

Didnā€™t know you live in Singapore. High up on my list of places to visit.

I donā€™t live there currently; it has been a long time.

To be honest, I donā€™t think it is that interesting a place to visit. If you spend more than a week, you will run out of stuff to do. There is great food, though. On the other hand it is a fantastic place to live, except for cost of living, which is quite high.

I think Tokyo is far more interesting to visit, and probably a nicer place to live in a lot of ways (also high cost of course). The main advantage for me is that Singapore is Englsh-speaking and that makes much more livable.

1 Like

That jibes with what I hear about the place. The food is a big attraction. Sounds like about three days there would be ideal.

Speaking of douches who flee the country: American, PAUL RENFRO HARBISON JR, Dies of Heart Attack on St 172, Phnom Penh - Cambodia Expats Online: Forum | News | Information | Blog

I was on the jury that convicted this guy.

@Ikioi

Have you ever seen my avatar in the wild? I would like to visit Japan but living there seems like a stretch for me personally.

My eyesight must be failing because I canā€™t make out what your avatar is.

For 99% of all non-Japanese (and some Japanese as well) Japan is an amazing place to visit and awful place to live.

Iā€™ve got kind of a weird personality in that I wouldnā€™t really care that much if I didnā€™t fit in that well and felt like an outsider. Iā€™ve got online poker to sustain me and just need 1 or 2 good friends (Japanese if possible, but prob would be other expats). I would snap accept a deal to live in Japan, but doubt Iā€™ll ever get the chance. I wonder if I could make it work.

1 Like

Got that vibe in South Korea too. Sucks balls to live in due to the work culture there but visiting was awesome.

A year was probably a bit too long for me.

1 Like

I donā€™t know if itā€™s the same in Korea, but the problem in Japan is that you will never ever ever be truly accepted into the community, ever. As a non-Japanese person you are a gaijin forever.

South Korea was a lot like that. China, as well.

Knew a guy who lived in China for nearly 20 years, 10 of which married to a Chinese woman. They had two kids, he spoke fluent Chinese but still didnā€™t have Chinese citizenship.

It makes living in those countries depressing after you get past the honeymoon stage. I mean itā€™s a problem that exists in pretty much every country to a certain degree but in East Asia the path to acceptance is way longer and more difficult both legally and socially.