Leaving The US

JT likes it hot.

1 Like

Hi 105/Low 64. Those are some serious swongs.

Iā€™m not sure heā€™s going to regret it at all. Even if Biden wins, etc.

Heā€™s still living in a country where well about 40% of people think Trump is great. That doesnā€™t change with an election result. Those people still live here. Iā€™m sure there are many such people in Canada also, but I donā€™t think the concentration is that high.

1 Like

Odd

This is the worst take youā€™ve ever had on this site. Youā€™re a monster.

18 Likes

Wow, I never really thought you were a weirdo until now. :slight_smile:

I gotta move to Caliā€¦

We lived in Camarillo (near LA) for a year and Iā€™m genuinely not sure the daytime temp ever moved outside of 60-90. I rode my bike 12 miles round trip to work every day and was never tempted to drive. Just completely unfair weather.

1 Like

Camarillo has good weather. Sacramento is too hot except for weirdos like JT.

There are good and bad enclaves everywhere. Iā€™m sure the average is different in BC, but not that different. I have gone back and forth my adult life between an incredibly left/liberal enclave to a pretty conservative enclave (by CA standards) and itā€™s not that big a difference. If itā€™s not about who is in your immediate circle, but about who is in your city/county/country, itā€™s not going to work. Canada is actually a pretty shitty country in a lot of ways. Like when you look at the corporate, especially mining, interests and what they have done not just in Canada but really heavily in Central America, you see a really disproportionate amount of Canadian companies.

What JT has going for him here is family/friends/history in BC.

1 Like

Now thatā€™s a piping hot take that you donā€™t see every day!

Certainly not where JT would be going, but there are plenty of those types up here, more that you might think. Mostly in the Prairies and rural areas elsewhere, but there are also quite a few RWNJs and Karens in the suburbs. The government in Alberta is now (again?) aggressively regressive and is run by a MAGA-type, despite its hub having a progressive as mayor.

I canā€™t disagree when you consider that both the Canadiens and Canucks are based there.

Yeah, I figured it would be bad in those parts, but not as bad, as something like Mississippi.

I canā€™t get over this. I assume your experience with triple digits is in places with dry heat like Vegas where 120 doesnā€™t even feel relatively bad compared to 95 in humid AF Oklahoma or Florida.

We had a summer a few years ago with 40+ days in triple digits and it was hell on earth.

2 Likes

Yeah, we donā€™t have a Mississippi, thank god.

Some friends of mine with a very different political orientation moved from Alameda to rural Wisconsin. They are not conservatives by any stretch, but still very different politically. But the reasoning was pretty similar in they thought the culture in CA was too rigid and materialistic. Like, they donā€™t want their kids to be on a track of you must go to college now, you must make this much money, you must buy this kind of house, etcā€¦

He is in California. Sacramento can get a little humid, but itā€™s nothing like all those terrible places.

1 Like

Ahh, Sacramento. I would leave there too now that the Rubicon Brewery is out-of-business.

@JohnnyTruant ,

I hate to ask this question, but Iā€™m a product of my terrible culture and canā€™t help it. Are you going to have jerbs up there? IEā€¦

(if your answer is ā€œnot worry about itā€ :+1: )

1 Like

If we felt safe travelling our family would seriously consider a trip to check out places like this: https://www.point2homes.com/CR/Home-For-Sale/San-Jose/Perez-Zeledon/La-Ese-Perez-Zeledon-Costa-Rica/90710755.html.

Unless Iā€™ve been misinformed, Costa Rica has a pretty welcoming residency/citizenship process. Great weather, tons of biodiversity, low CoL, and a functioning democracy.

That said, we probably wonā€™t leave if Biden wins and the culture wars slow down. Maybe weā€™ll retire to CR, but the urgency would change considerably.

2 Likes