Leaving The US

Legit one of the only things that makes me rethink our decision not to procreate.

1 Like

Iā€™m not terribly worried about being an imposition. Iā€™ll take up base jumping in my late seventies and itā€™ll work itself out.

7 Likes

+1

I wouldnā€™t mind kids, but never really had a strong desire for them. Too exhausting. The best case Iā€™ve ever made to myself for kids, is thatā€™s Iā€™d (hopefully) have someone to care for me when old. But Iā€™ve also realized this is probably not a good primary reason to have children.

2 Likes

If it only took humans 6 years to go from newborn---->independent adult, Iā€™d consider having kids. A ~20 year commitment is just too much for me. Respect to everyone that is repopulating the earth.

1 Like

No, four months isnā€™t really a big deal. But something like Alzheimerā€™s can be a completely exhausting 5+ year ordeal for the primary caregiver that puts most of the rest of their life on hold, and in USA#1 it can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Itā€™s not like I really have a lot of choices here. Itā€™s not like Iā€™m planning on not having insurance. Best I can do is kill myself when Iā€™m no longer a benefit to those around me. If Iā€™m not capable of killing myself? Wanna make a euthanasia pact?

2 Likes

Adoption is always an option

1 Like

Weā€™re kinda straying off topic. The reason I brought it up is in the context of being a stateless nomad into old age, or not even necessarily old but just in dire straits for one reason or another. Like when shit gets really real for real, is there some entity legally obligated to take care of you?

I can see worrying about that if youā€™re a Euro. Weā€™re Americans and are fucked at home. Other people can chime in with better answers, but thereā€™s private insurance other places and a lot of even not rich countries are better for this even if youā€™re not a citizen.

I can send you pictures of tent encampments in LA if you need to be reminded how obligated the US is to take care of you.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s not really relevant to zikā€™s concern. I think heā€™s talking about medical care and long term care when he is old.

The US wonā€™t ā€œtake care of youā€ in general, but there are some specific things you can (kind of) count on.

Once heā€™s of age he can get Medicare. And once heā€™s old and requires long-term care, if he is broke, he can get Medicaid to pay for long-term care.

This, of course, assumes the programs remain largely unchanged when he needs them.

1 Like

Miliboo basically got into this in one post. Youā€™ve got a good chance for some years with a decent body and mind. Donā€™t go out of your way to put your security at risk for no good reason obviously, but donā€™t sacrifice your good years to protect your bad. Move back to the US when youā€™re old and get on Medicare or die or whatever, but Iā€™m 52 and very healthy and capable and Iā€™m not going to not do stuff for the next 20 or maybe 30 years because Iā€™m afraid of what my last 5 years will be like. Iā€™ve still got kids and parents to take care of for now though - I think they call that being a sandwich generation.

2 Likes

I agree with all of this and I imagine zikzak would as well.

Sure. Easier said than done. Iā€™m just trying to give myself a pep talk. I probably wonā€™t be going full Suzzer.

1 Like

You canā€™t go full suzzer with kids. Even if theyā€™re adults youā€™re going to want to be around.

Iā€™m certainly not trying to talk anybody out of anything. I ask and it would be something Iā€™d worry about because I donā€™t know the answers. When people say theyā€™re going to go live abroad, I donā€™t understand how you do that long term without either some legally recognized status, or being very wealthy, or planning on eventually returning to your country of citizenship. Iā€™m sure it can be done, but Iā€™m not so sure itā€™s something Iā€™d want be dealing with in my late 70ā€™s.

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure everyone who is doing this plans to do one of the 3 things you mentioned.

It sounds like in your case, returning to USA would be the best option. All you have to fade is some illness that is so sudden that you canā€™t make back here and making it back would make a difference. Seems like a pretty small risk, imo.

How would they distinguish ā€œworkā€ from someone who is just gambooling for fun and gets lucky?

I have Option 1 available.

The desirability of option 1 depends on the country in question. Canada = great. Uruguay = less so.

I got my foot x-rayed, a diagnosis (bone spurs/plantar fasciitis), and a prescription at one of the best hospitals in Mexico for $100. Walked in w/o an appt, walked out less than 2 hours later. We make healthcare way too complicated in this country 95% of the time.

Costa Rica is a haven of medical tourism. Their doctors know what theyā€™re doing. Everything is quoted up front and they even give you money back if there were no complications. Imagine a US hospital giving you cash back lol. Whether or not you really need the procedure is up to you to research. I can live with that. In my case it was cutting the back of your tendons partially to relieve the platnar-fasciitis - $4000. I passed and now itā€™s much better w/o surgery.

Iā€™m not worried about healthcare in most other countries unless I get bone cancer or something. Then Iā€™ll fly back to the US.

As far being taken care of when youā€™re old. Iā€™d rather take my chances in Costa Rica than wind up in a medicare-grade memory care facility in the US. One of the most horrible, depressing places Iā€™ve ever been. I really wish there was some way to say just euthanize me if Iā€™m that mentally incapacitated. I know it canā€™t work for practical reasons. But maybe thereā€™s some way to make it happen.

I think at least some part of what makes people wind up in those places is retiring with no plan other than sitting around. When your body and brain feels done, it reacts accordingly. I plan to keep moving and exploring as long as I can with the hopes it will keep my brain and body working at RBG levels as long as possible. Of course maybe you meet someone and plans change.

Bottom line is the thought of growing old and dying in my one-bedroom condo (or a 5-bedroom mansion) is infinitely more terrifying to me than whatever happens to me as a 75-year-old in some other country. If I had a huge loving family with grandkids and lots of local social connections, obviously it would be a whole different story.

2 Likes