Key Bridge collapse in Baltimore

Lol, nailed it:

10 Likes

It’s unrealistic to expect a pillar to withstand this impact, but how standard is it for a bridge to collapse completely if it loses a single pillar? I don’t have a good sense for that. Thinking back to how much trouble Ukraine is having taking out the Kerch bridge makes me think that some designs might be more redundant.

You’ve been lucky. It’s not likely but not that uncommon IME for I-95 traffic to get routed this way when the tunnels or downtown Baltimore traffic gets backed up. Also common if you’re transiting between BWI or Annapolis to I-95 north of Baltimore. Also I just learned hazmat can’t use the tunnels. I’ve been routed around 695 in the other direction for I-95 detours too though so that should be able to absorb the hazmat and I-95 transient traffic without much delay. All of those routes are busy enough at peak hours to be not fun though so I imagine this is going to cause some real pain for Baltimore commutes until it’s rebuilt.

Drugs and or human error most likely

USA bridge gets tapped by sail boat, collapses like toothpick. Crimean bridge gets bombed and missiled, stands strong for another fight

mayor should order all people capable of working from home to do so.

1 Like

Again, IANASE, but a little Googling leads me to the information that the Key Bridge was a continuous truss bridge, and the Wiki for that has this to say:

Conversely, continuous truss bridges rely on rigid truss connections throughout the structure for stability. Severing a continuous truss mid-span endangers the structure.

So it seems unsurprising that knocking out a pillar in this type of bridge is Bad.

If you watch the collapse video in slow mo, the far side of the bridge (past the other pillar) is actually jerked up immediately after the collision. That’s the part that seems kind of off to me. The force that pulls that span off its supports has to be a tension force, which intuitively seems like it must be coming from members that normally carry compression loads. Is there some arcane reason why those members wouldn’t fail in tension before the things holding the bridge down? Very possibly so!

For anyone who’s interested in this kind of thing, there’s a truly wonderful pop engineering book by JE Gordon called Structures that you should order before it sells out in Amazon.

1 Like

This does seem like the type of local tragedy that we should all have the energy and attention for.

If only we didn’t have a monthly shooting where as many people died as in this tragedy.

isn’t it mv^2?So it would be sq root of 1000 so 31.5x the speed or 95mph?

I’ve spent enough time playing around with bridge construction games to know that truss bridges rely on the integrity of the entire structure to remain intact. Use to use a really good program when I was in college that showed all the forces and math stuff, but simple games like this can maybe give you an idea. I’ll have to try to find that more robust program when I have time later.

1 Like

Generally agree with your post, but not this. Conservatives don’t like infrastructure spending, some of them might get behind the idea that the government built bridge fell down because government is bad at everything, that’s just common sense.

If only we gave the responsibility of building bridges to a Private Company like Boeing, that bridge would still be standing tall today!

3 Likes

Oh of course they don’t, but that won’t stop them from saying it. It’s like “we should be taking care of our own before we take care of immigrants”, when they definitely don’t want to do either.

1 Like

The pro Boomer move is to complain about shoddy infrastructure while also complaining about having to pay for the kind of infrastructure spending that made the post-Depression boom possible.

3 Likes

Yeah, exactly. They might use infrastructure as a phony “higher priority”, they do stuff like that all the time.

Wokeness collapsed the bridge.

7 Likes

I heard the engineer was a trans black DEI hire.

7 Likes

https://x.com/justin_fenton/status/1772629105881632880?s=20

2 Likes

thread

https://twitter.com/carpethefish/status/1772562054471381256

5 Likes