Kamala / Walz 2024

um, unambiguously yes.

1 Like

7 Likes

https://x.com/AOC/status/1825545290633674825?t=lMzWgGmiGb_Ug_a9doZBOQ&s=19

15 Likes

This is where Mayor Pete really shines. When he goes, even the die hard Trump slappies can’t really criticize it this way.

1 Like

I love that they are criticizing Kamala’s diet when their dude is morbidly obese.

2 Likes

This mf spittin’ at the ArcGIS user conference back in July

1 Like

Hee hee, I have some map-py colleagues at work. After he got picked as VP candidate (just a couple weeks after this conference) one Bernie bro in my department went on a mini-tirade about how Waltz isn’t supporting open source GIS solutions. May be my pick for least substantive policy disagreement ever but YMMV

Hmm, I haven’t thought about it because I’ve been out of the space for a few years now, but that is probably a fair criticism of the ESRI vs. open-source, and the Bernie bro is on brand with that criticism. ArcGIS probably has a near-monopoly in this space and especially when it comes to working with universities + local/county/state governments on and they capitalize on it. I remember licenses used to be absurdly expensive for commercial use. I bought a single user personal license for a year to make a few maps and even that was ~$100.

I tried to use qGIS at different points but never really found it to be that good. It was hard to find proper directions and some things there weren’t equivalents. This was 10 years ago though and I can only imagine things have gotten better.

I actually want to build a very basic GIS as a side project once I get some spare time. Maybe I will take them all on.

1 Like

Cliffs? I thought it went well. Down the memory hole.

It didn’t go well for Republicans to make fun of it, I believe he’s saying. Dems just owned it and it became a fun meme for a minute that helped give positivity to the initial Harris launch.

1 Like

I’m told if you are a real man you just use Python

1 Like

gop “influencers” made a bunch of videos saying “look at this moron talking about coconut trees” thinking WE GOT HER and a bunch of zoomers turned them into “actually kamala is based and now I’m coconutmaxxing” memes

1 Like

Ohhhhh I thought you were saying it didn’t go well for Kamala! Now I get it.

Speaking tonight, per Politico (in no order except the end of the list, I think, given that AOC is apparently speaking at 9 and therefore surely doesn’t have 11 speeches going after her):

• Minyon Moore, Chair of the 2024 Democratic National Convention Committee
  • Jaime R. Harrison, Chair of the Democratic National Committee
  • Brandon Johnson, Mayor of Chicago
  • Peggy Flanagan, Lieutenant Governor of Minnesota
  • Illinois Rep. Lauren Underwood
  • California Rep. Robert Garcia
  • AFSCME President Lee Saunders
  • SEIU President April Verrett
  • LiUNA General President Brent Booker
  • IBEW International President Kenneth W. Cooper
  • CWA President Claude Cummings Jr.
  • AFL-CIO President Elizabeth H. Shuler
  • Michigan State Senator Mallory McMorrow
  • Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo
  • New York Gov. Kathy Hochul
  • UAW President Shawn Fain
  • New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
  • Hillary Clinton
  • South Carolina Rep. Jim Clyburn
  • Maryland Rep. Jamie Raskin
  • Texas Rep. Jasmine Crockett
  • New York Rep. Grace Meng
  • Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear
  • Georgia Sen. Raphael Warnock
  • Delaware Sen. Chris Coons
  • First lady Jill Biden
  • Ashley Biden
  • President Joe Biden

Obviously it’s a much smaller subset of these that will be on TV.

1 Like

Aliquippa is also the birthplace of Pistol Pete

1 Like

Ugh, I hate even considering how the right will react to things, but I’m torn between Ashley Biden likely being a fine speaker and making a positive impact with her speech, and this reopening the whole “ashley’s diary” bs for the reds to feast on.

It’s a rare moment in life where I can honestly ask myself if I’m not too online, but I’m happy to say that I have no idea what the hell you’re talking about.

7 Likes

Also, I don’t know if its been mentioned anywhere but does Gavin have a slot somewhere?

Maybe you’d like to hear it from noted ghoul Megyn Kelly?

Considering just how how long that list for day one is, you have to strongly assume he and every single Democratic governor does and that it’s just a matter of whether they have a timeslot where people will actually see them.

They haven’t really announced most of these names until today, so people like Whitmer and Shapiro are surely speaking and just haven’t leaked yet.

1 Like