Kamala / Walz 2024

Vance and his Heritage Foundation freaks will figure out the details, and Trump will sign off and thank them.

Do think we will still have elections but the outcomes will disproportionately favor rural areas to an even more ridiculous degree than they do now.

What was the plan on 1/6 if Pence didn’t certify the elections?

Impossible to say who won so House votes? Ds control the House so fine! Actually Constitution says you separate the Reps into states and then somehow Rs win?

It will be shit like that with an intellectual veneer acceptable to the Supreme Court.

Ya I’m not saying we aren’t in serious trouble if Trump wins. We are.

I think this is true, but in his first term Trump was surrounded by people who looked the part etc. This time around his priority is loyalty and those people are psychopaths. So I think you’re right that Trump himself won’t actually get any shit done, but the supporting cast will be much scarier this time around.

5 Likes

If she’s inaugurated on January 20, 2025, a President Harris is going to need to at least hold the Democratic majority in the Senate to get her agenda though. Pulling Kelly out of the Senate would open unneeded uncertainty that a Republican would fill the seat in a special election. Better to leave him where he is.

Tim Walz probably is the least bad on the reported Harris VP short list, and he mostly has a solid progressive record leading the crucial swing state of Minnesota.

However, Walz tends to look older than his 60 years. In an election where voters are looking for candidates who project a certain vigor and youth, that could be a problem.

Roy Cooper, on the other hand, ticks many boxes.

At 67, he’s actually older but generally looks younger.

Term-limited, Cooper’s already heading towards the exits in a few months so there’s no inherent risk of a Republican pick-up with his selection.

He’s also developed a proven record fighting for Democratic priorities in a state in which he faces a Republican-led state legislature. That includes expanding Medicaid on his watch.

The icing on his cake, quite honestly, that Southern twang he carries. Cooper likely would get a more welcome reception in some swing states and with some moderate and independent voters that other potential picks might not.

Lastly, the inclusion of Cooper might just buy Harris the Tar Heel State. Barack Obama is the last Democrat to carry North Carolina in 2008, and four years ago President Biden lost it by less than 1.5 percent.

Makes the same mistake as other by ignoring that Harris has narrowed it down to FIVE candidates that include Pete. I guess the author doesn’t consider him to be a real option.

Speaking to a crowd gathered in Forsyth County, the suburban Atlanta county that could play a pivotal role in determining the winner in battleground Georgia, Beshear responded to attacks from Trump, who called Harris a “bum” at a recent campaign rally.

“Two nights ago, he called her a bum. If he wants to see a bum, he ought to look in the mirror,” Beshear said. “And what he’ll see looking back are multiple bankruptcies and 34 felony convictions.”
“Then again, when JD Vance looks in the mirror, he doesn’t see any conviction at all,” he continued.

That’s a no from me, dog

5 Likes

I definitely think Beshear is failing the audition. To the extent that he’s still being considered (and it was entirely reasonable to take at least a look at him), I’d be awfully disappointed in that choice.

1 Like

Yeah, I think Pete would be a good pick. Wouldn’t be leaving a hole behind either.

I don’t get this Journalist’s take on Cooper though. To me he might look slightly younger but the way he speaks and acts seems so much older. I watched one of his commercials and it feels like he’s trying to sell funeral insurance:

Just too dull (for me).

5 Likes

Yeah he old for sure.

I think first impressions matter a lot, and while I might be biased, Pete immediately inspires excitement similar to what Kamala has inspired since her presumptive nomination. At that point it’s up to him to help voters justify their excitement, whereas these other candidates are starting from the same hole Dems find themselves in time and again. Instead of listening to who excites voters from the get go, they begin by explaining why we should be excited. It’s a long road to walk.

2 Likes

10 Likes

I think there’s a lot of us who had little to no awareness of Tim Walz a week ago, and he now seems like an exciting choice. I don’t really doubt his ability to make this first impression on the larger stage.

I’m perfectly on board if she picks Pete, but fixating on there being exactly one correct candidate is obviously setting yourself up to be disappointed the majority of the time since none of these names is anywhere near being over 50% to be the choice.

3 Likes

Fair fair. I’m sure I’d come aboard if he becomes the official VP pick. In the meantime, my heart wants what my heart wants. I’ll just have to live with the disappointment if my horse doesn’t come through. He’s still so young that I’m picturing him serving eight years as VP, then at some point taking another run for POTUS.

2 Likes

I think you’re right. Loads of people already know who Pete is so if he gets the nod it will inspire based on name recognition alone.

I’m in a similar boat to @LKJ though. A week ago I had no idea who Walz was but as soon as he opened his mouth I liked the man. I then watched a couple of interviews about Vance, workers rights and social inclusion and the guy had me completely sold.

In all honesty I could easily get behind both.

4 Likes

I don’t think trump is going to crown himself emperor but we will absolutely see an acceleration of voter suppression, gerrymandering, etc that will lock in GOP minoritarian rule. We’re already fucking soaking in it, buddy, do you think they’re going to let off the gas?

1 Like

Absolutely right. Cooper looks like a reverse mortgage salesman or AARP spokesperson. That might be effective for a certain class of voters who were more pro-Biden than pro-Harris, but it’s a turn off to me.

edit: I now realize @econophile slow ponied me on the reverse mortgage thing, props to him

3 Likes

Roy Cooper sucks lets not do that please.

5 Likes

I’m doubtful about coopers ability to pull NC blue anyways

1 Like

If anyone is going to top “Pokemon go to the polls” it’s going to be this guy.

2 Likes

I think Cooper and Walz both look older than they are and that Cooper certainly looks older than Walz.

https://x.com/3vanSutton/status/1817586760429555917

14 Likes