JB's Health Log

Transferring log from the old site to here

I haven’t been able to get much traction with eating better lately so I decided to start a log as this has been helpful for me in the past.

The gory details:

Weight: 254 pounds
Height: 5’11"
Maintenance calories: 2650

Target weight: 175 pounds
Target loss: 1.5 pounds/week
Target calories (average): 1900/day

For now I’ll mostly be focused on diet and not exercise. I’ll go deeper into some of my background and current challenges as this log progresses. I’m going to try to eat healthy foods and limit alcohol but my primary focus will be on averaging 1900 calories/day or less regardless of macros and micros. And there will be some beer and wine consumed.

I plan to post a log for every day even if I don’t post ITT every day. I commit to posting the bad days including any blow ups. I usually jump on the scale every day but Fridays will be when I plan to record my progress.

I’ll try to post the actual foods and quantities but some days if time is a constraint I’ll probably just post the calories.

Week 1 : 19-Jul-2019

Weight: 248 pounds
Starting weight: 254 pounds
Weekly Loss: 6 pounds
Total Loss: 6 pounds

Week 2: 26-Jul-2019

Weight: 243 pounds
Weekly Loss: 5 pounds
Total Loss: 11 pounds

11lbs is good. You feeling better?

A little bit so far. 11 pounds has to be mostly water weight but my clothes already fit better and I’ve lost two notches on the belt, which seems hard to believe in two weeks but is true.

1 Like

27-Jul-2019: 2159 calories

91 g protein, 87 g fat, 63 g carbs

Tea, water, and too much wine for drinks

28-Jul-2019: 1189 calories

100 g protein, 39 g fat, 109 g carbs

Tea, iced tea and water for drinks

1 Like

29-Jul-2019: 1417 calories

This fucking rocks I had no idea I could just snip and post right inline!

2 Likes

30-Jul-2019: 1528 calories

I’ve been extremely busy but I will get my log up and running tomorrow. I haven’t bailed!

1 Like

31-Jul-2019: 1642 calories

A little crazy on the sodium from too much prepared food today. (Chicken sausage, pasta sauce, breakfast sandwich, etc.)

Good calories though.

Yes good calories. High sodium for me is just another little warning sign (like less than 30% calories from protein) to do a better job even if the overall calories are on target.

I also have high blood pressure issues, which sodium might contribute to depending on who you listen to. (Mostly my high blood pressure is due to sleep apnea and being too fat. Things I will get into more detail on soon.)

01-Aug-2019: 1762 calories

Week 3: 02-Aug-2019

Weight: 240 pounds
Weekly loss: 3 pounds
Total loss: 14 pounds

1 Like

That’s probably it for the big easy losses. Now I have to settle into a grind and just plan on 1 to 2 pounds per week for the long haul.

1 Like

Anyone think that’s possible? Seems way unlikely to me.

Yeah, looking around that could be a little low on the calories. I’m seeing anything between 150 and 200 being “in the ballpark” for 80 grams. However, surprisingly the protein doesn’t look that far off. I’m seeing between about 9 and 12 grams protein for 80 grams of whole grain bread.

Usually I would use whatever is on the package but we’ve been getting our bread at farmstands and farmers markets recently (these don’t have nutrition labels) so I’m trying to find a good proxy.

While it’s true bread didn’t get me here, too many calories certainly is the number 1 problem. I think it’s very important for me to have a good idea of calories and nutrition and portion sizes so that eventually I can estimate rather than weigh and measure everything. That’s a long term thing though as I plan to weigh and measure and log with precision until I hit my target weight of 175 pounds.

What does this mean? I think it might be lost in translation or cultural turn of phrase?

That’s the brand and product. Funny, in poking around I just found an FDA warning letter to the company with a whole bunch of labeling claim findings across their product line.

I’ll find a better proxy for the fresh bread we’ve been getting.

Yeah we would say, identify the root cause. But now I’m going to try this “dig a root” phrase on our fancy shmancy six sigma project managers!