he knows the best
i can

5 Likes

lmao pure poetry

we are all beetniks here

2 Likes

it’s so pure. it’s like a basquiat painting

2 Likes

Yea, nun count me in as one of those who appreciates your posts but wishes that every thread didn’t devolve into a poo flinging fight when someone disagrees with you.

I generally just scroll through them, which isn’t hard, but I’d still prefer them to be less frequent…

4 Likes

nunnhei is like the wall street journal. the news section is top notch, but the opinion section is like, “lol what world is this guy living in?”

21 Likes

@BestOf

1 Like

Yeah but they will fall some day.

There are celebrations all over CR as it’s the 30th anniversary of the Velvet Revolution. It’s also doubling over as a protest to get the current PM (who was a member of the secret police that attempted to suppress the revolution during the 1980s) to resign.

The original protest in 1989 went on for 6 weeks and had over a million protestors. The end result was the end of communism and the eventual peaceful split of Czechoslovakia.

“Because the people who live there say so” is a pretty damn good reason.

2 Likes

Sure, I didn’t mean to imply the reasons are bad, it’s just I forget what they are because American.

1 Like

If it isn’t already, American will soon be used alongside terms like ‘gammy leg’ to mean some sort of malady.

2 Likes

You’re good, it’s just sort of a pet peeve of mine with how frequently people of any language pronounce foreign places in wholly unlike ways compared to how the people who named the place say it. I’m reminded of a cartoon I saw circulating facebook that opened with something like “Germans: Hi, we are the Deutcher, and we speak Deutsch, and our homeland is Deutschland.” And then it lists a dozen other countries listing their names for Deutschland, the only one of which having even the remotest resemblance is the Japanese, Doitsu. I am somewhat sympathetic when the way the people there write the name of their place doesn’t line up with the pronunciation rules of other languages (Paris, Budapest), and especially when the place uses sounds that are not found in the language in question (Rouen, Reims), but having a wholly separate spelling and pronunciation for Wien (Vienna) when it’s really easy to pronounce (like Veen) is pretty silly. If the Ukrainians think that the best Roman-alphabet spelling of their capital is Kyiv, then “Keev” might not be my first guess as a native English speaker (to use the IPA, my first guess coming from a place of naivety would be something like Kjɪv), but “Keev” is pretty plausible and easier to say.

1 Like

I’m kinda curious what EDL means to you, because you’re using it like I would use ESL (English as a Second Language) or EFL (English as a Foreign Language), but I don’t know what the D would be. Typo? Or something I don’t know?

1 Like

Duo

1 Like

No sweat. Mainly wondering if I had something to learn.

1 Like

Heh, That’s @Trolly , who’s Espanol Duo Lingo.

4 Likes

I pronounce it pet pe-EV

12 Likes

My Chinese immigrant boss always says and writes in emails “touch basis” instead of touch base. I don’t have the heart to tell her. It’s amazing how much baseball permeates American culture.

She also says “flush out” instead of flesh out - which a lot of Americans by birth do as well.

An old Philipino coworker used to say “tor-toys” instead of the normal pronunciation of tortoise (which was also the name of a source control client we used in our jobs). No one ever told him because we loved hearing him say tor-toys - which I still say to this day every time I see any kind of turtle. I think he eventually figured out something was up by our reaction - but he kept saying it.

1 Like

I’d my boss heard that one time but turned it into touch basis, because she probably figured touch bases made no sense.

The funny thing is she’s been working at this job for 16 years - and she likes to put “touch basis” in meeting subject lines. So there could be dozens if not 100 or more people who have also never had the heart to tell her.

We’re going to the AWS conference in Vegas in a few weeks. If we have a few beers I may tell her.

I think she might want to bone me too. Which is scary because she’s hot enough I might say yes, and then work would just be hell I know it.

I dunno - she weighs like 95 lbs. and I like my women with some meat on their bones. When my gf would get super skinny and it was like folding over a piece of paper I actually got less turned on - even though she looked insane in pictures.

3 Likes

Suzzer undisputed Goat these past few hours with his disclosures Lmaooooooooooooooooooo

5 Likes