It's Worms All the Way Down: The Ivermectin Thread

Micro remember when you demanded respect about all zoning discussions because you worked on planning stuff?

The irony of that demand is not lost on me here. And I’m fine with leaving this at a simple you’re wrong and moving on.

1 Like

You are so bad at this.

I was literally quoting a post that you made. I was making fun of you. You don’t even read your own posts!!!

“Put some damn respect on that” Who the fuck talks like that?

5 Likes

I mean this is all well and good for funzies, but ChrisV and Bobman are right and are both like a thousand times smarter than CN and we have bystanders thinking that Bobman is a Facebook #doyourownresearch bro because they are skimming the thread and those guys are arguing with the doctor.

9 Likes

I remember having a good chuckle at that post.

I get what you are trying to do here, micro. But it’s futile. There is no argument you can make that ikes will find compelling. He has to be right. His self-image demands it, as you could kind of guess based on that post.

7 Likes

I’m not trying to convince CN. I’m defending the honor of ChrisV and Bobman!

1 Like

I see. Carry on, then

Depressing if true. My hope is that most reading the exchange are better than that.

I don’t think this is fair or productive.

This seems like yet another case where a good discussion was derailed by ego and a refusal to read other people’s posts carefully and charitably.

People should be more careful with the terminology and with their reading comprehension. If you’re not sure what somebody means, ask for clarification. Don’t assume anybody here is working at a grade school understanding of this stuff (unless they admit it!).

I’m confident we could go back through all the posts from earlier, dissect them carefully, figure out where things went wrong, and come to a comprehensive agreement and understanding. But who wants to spend all day doing that?

Not everything has to be a fight. We can do better.

5 Likes

I never new bobman was some facebook ivermectin weirdo.

5 Likes

Micro was clearly being hyperbolic, but you’re right about most of this.

I am not as sure as you that comprehensive agreement and understanding is possible in this case.

It’s true that not everything has to be a fight, but on the flip side, a goal of zero fights is probably suboptimal. I think people can learn quite a bit from these fights. It would be nice if we could have the content of the fight without the fighting, but that is not how people (especially people who post a lot on forums) are generally wired.

2 Likes

Probably better to assume you have to ELI5 unless they demonstrate otherwise.

It’s pretty easy to retrace where things went off the rails and see where people started being disrespectful.

4 Likes

Disagree, this just allows knowledgeable people to talk down to everyone in service to their own egos instead of sharing their expertise with patience and humility.

1 Like

It’s one thing to post an ELI5 explanation of something so that it is clear, there is minimal ambiguity, and it will be understandable to those following along but not actively participating. That’s probably not a bad way to post a lot of the time.

It’s quite another to ELI5 something and state up front that you are doing it because you think the person you are engaging with is a moron.

1 Like

It takes patience to explain things to people like they are five, especially when those people suffer from illusory superiority.

2 Likes

Good points both.

Retracing where things went wrong and documenting it might be an interesting project for someone to do in a moderation or forum drama thread.

Yeah, but this is where ChrisV and Bobman have been besmirched. I don’t want any moderator action. I just want desmirching.

No one thinks that about bob. He is misusing medical literature, just like ChrisV, but what would I know about that? Nothing I suppose. Carry on micro.

3 Likes

I only skimmed. Evidence based medicine seems to be something quite apart from ordinary statistical argument. Rigidly rule based rather than principle based, maybe. I generally appreciate Caffeine’s expertise, but wow.

I’m off to think about time.

1 Like

Was “Captain Pedantic” the first instance of name-calling? That might have been the point where it went from strong disagreement to something else.