It's time to delete Metabook, Twitter and TikTok (and Reddit). Fuck it, social media is cancer - a thread.

I said a couple weeks ago i deleted facebook, but it keeps your account basically on the side for a month, like no way around it. So my mental was weak and i came back, fuckin facebook, i will delete it!

2 Likes

It’s shit like this that makes me not want to leave. I can’t stand to see such blatant fake news spread without any push back, especially when it’s posted by people who will maybe think about the quality of their news when I explain the math to them.

This is also a great example of how propaganda and fake news spreads so easily and manipulates so effectively.

Cliffs: Candace says covid death rate is on 0.43%. Shes using total deaths divided by total tests, not total positives.

Also, just watched The Great Hack on Netflix. Good look into Cambridge Analytica and data rights.

If you are organizing events for a set group or audience for which you have offline or non-FB contact info, you can get them all on discord or slack or meetup or whatsapp (or any of the group message services), and just use google calendar.

If you are trying to engage or pull in potential new members or volunteers or reach new markets in general…FB is still unbeatable, unfortunately. If you have the time and energy to make a website, then more time to get enough clicks/engagements to move up in google’s algorithm, or money to promote it on google, that can work too.

It never ends. I deleted my account for 3 years and when I went back, it was like I was gone for a day.

I use something called Telegram which I think has (even public) groups but I don’t use it for that. I like the fact that I can use it across all of my devices including Linux desktop and I can send my mom cat memes on her ipad. It was coded by some Russian and yet I trust it way more than lying weasel Cuckerberg.

What I’ve been most bitter @ FB for is that now they are showing live sportsball and they don’t have a Ruku app. WTFBBQ !!!1!

I won’t be quitting FB any time soon. I never put much personal info on it or used it to keep in touch with people* but the groups are the only way to get local info on certain hobbies that I spent years looking for. I prefer Twitter, but they don’t like Twitter.

*It helps there’s only three people I keep in touch with, which texting can handle.

1 Like

Yelling and screaming gets in the way of seeing the action. I don’t react in an emotionally outward way to a lot of things.

What years were you in phil? Where?

I can see how FB might be very useful for hobbyists, though I suspect oneupmanshipping “friends” still exists and is still the main reason most people still use it even if they won’t admit it, which is ultimately as self-defeating as comparing bank account balances with everyone.

While I’ve been on Facebook since it was “theFacebook” sometime in august/September 2004 I think I’ve made one post of my own in the last year and only scroll to see the highlight reel of old friends who have since moved far away. Any random idiot I’ve met over the years is long gone from my updates and makes the viewing pretty painless.

My main purpose for it is to buy/trade/gamble on golf stuff. There’s a whole subculture of groups for buying/trading/raffling any hobby you could imagine. I learn a lot about new and even old stuff and can buy or win pretty much anything tangentially-related to the game.

Spent most of my time in Davao. It was only for a year. 2011ish.

1 Like

Ah. Before my time!

1 Like

Honestly I have a fair number of family members where the perfect amount of interaction for me is to passively consume a few pics of their kids every couple of weeks.

1 Like

I’ve found the medium pretty easy to customize. When I scroll through facebook now I see an enjoyable compilation of:

1. Things my friends and family are up to.
  2. Funny memes.
  3. Some left wing content.
  4. Cool sports clips.
  5. Random poker stuff.

I guess I just don’t see all the toxic right-wing stuff I hear about. For the most part I have unfriended or unfollowed people who were shitting up my timeline. Every once in a while I’ll be scrolling through videos and Ben Shapiro or some shit will pop up. Sometimes I check in on he derposphere, but mostly I just scroll right through.

I do struggle to rationalize my continued use of it due to the fact that I know it is poisoning people’s minds similar to how Fox News does. I’m not sure if my using it explicitly for other things is making me part of the solution or problem. Either way, I am sort of enjoying it, especially during this pandemic when I’m no seeing these people nearly as often.

I’ve tried twitter. I’ve found it to just be sort of overwhelming. There just seems to be so much more noise to filter through on that.

Yeah, absolutely. I deactivated my account for a year and didn’t miss it at all or think about the people I was “friends” with but only there. Eventually I came back to promote a few things, and then I remembered why I hated it in the first place. I ended up making a new account, but I’ve only got about 100 close friends and creative peers so I can use it as a sounding board for first drafts of jokes and to share my podcasting and other creative or critical work.

EDIT: It’s not as relevant during a pandemic, but Facebook was also by far the best way to find out about open mics or other stage time available.

2 Likes

lulz

Likewise mine has been deactivated for 2 years now, but the one thing that kept me from deleting was wanting to have access to old photos of me and my friends (in those two years I’ve logged in once to download a video and then re-deactivated). Are those included in the download?

yes, its one big zip file, you can look through it once it downloads.

But Tik Tok is what we are banning