It's time to delete Metabook, Twitter and TikTok (and Reddit). Fuck it, social media is cancer - a thread.

I would undelete my facebook account if we have UK like social media rules. Until then fuck facebook, they can eat a big old bowl of nuts.

Facebook is Chomsky’s model of propaganda on steroids. Actually letting hostile foreign actors brazenly lob in propaganda without even the slightest challenge is probably something even he didn’t foresee though.

NYT is Chomsky’s model of propaganda. A crucial element is having authority and recognized legitimacy. With Trump you could argue that Twitter is the newspaper of record.

Did it lead you to Poppy?

1 Like

That is a really good point. I think if FB removed the share function the quality of the site would skyrocket. Damn near 100% of the garbage posts are shares. All of the political propaganda, boomer crap, and 1995 chain email garbage would disappear.

2 Likes

Wait, people on this board still use Facebook? In 2020? Lol.

I don’t really “use” Facebook but all my cousins do and I like hearing about their kids.

Team pixie fairy dream girl.

Team surreal performance art that microbet doesn’t seem to appreciate.

Look.

At.

Their.

Little.

Feet.

You think this is a game, motherfucker?

Any tips for making the jump? Should you go through and delete everything then deactivate? Do you just deactivate?

The fundamental piece of the theory is that profit motive of owners means that news accuracy is not part of the calculus, right? That readers/viewers are the product–not the customer–sold to advertisers. It has to be more true of Facebook today operating as a de facto news platform for like half of U.S. adults than the NYT. I mean they actually sold ads and psychometric user data to foreign operatives who used it to influence U.S. politics! It doesn’t get much more cynical than that.

1 Like

5 Likes

Call them every once in a while. Facetime. It’s healthier human contact anyway.

1 Like

TIL that people still call people on the phone. I should try that.

1 Like

I use the facebook messenger app constantly but haven’t checked my facebook in probably a year. Felt my IQ falling every second I was on it.

I downloaded all my info (that is an option) and deactivated it while I tie up some loose ends with people I don’t have phone numbers or emails for. You can still use the messenger function when it is deactivated. It will be deleted by the end of the week.

2 Likes

I got talked into getting a FB account back for OWS (twitter too). For a while, FB was all the rage with the activists. I pointed out that (a) old school listservs are better for organizing AINEC, (b) there’s plenty of other free hosting on the interwebs, (c ) I can htlml/css as a pro, so why would I need pre-canned webpages, (d) why would anyone want those crappy pre-canned webpages that “can’t do anything” under any circumstances, (e) it’s owned by an particularly evil gang of capialists, and perhaps most importantly… (f) it’s all just plain fugly, It’s got to be the least ecstatically pleasing interface ever deployed.

So I got a FB page with a -blank- profile, -zero- content, and which I’ve interacted with other peeps through -zero- times through. I only use to look at other fool’s FB content when that’s all they know how to do and they don’t know better than to mark it “private”.

I put the FB app on my phone two years ago because they had an exclusive on about a dozen MLB games in 2018, and an exclusive on about the same number of FBS games in 2019 (two of which were Sabo’s football Aztecs). You need the app to watch the games on your phone.

I’m ok, right?

1 Like

Any suggestions for the best way to organise events that is not Facebook? That’s all I use it for anymore and I’m at the point where I’d be OK to push friends into finding a better way to do it. I haven’t read my feed in like several weeks. lol at ever engaging politically on there.

2 Likes