Is the economy good or bad, and what is the economy, and how much should a person care about it

This is like bringing a snowball into congress to debate global warming. The economy may be good but there has always been traffic on a holiday weekend

I think one thing the Democrats are awful at talking about is the precarity that we all feel in our lives as Americans. That feeling that one job loss or health diagnosis puts your entire financial future in Jeopardy.

I think this is one aspect being missed in the information of the economy being strong for low wage workers. If the baseline economic lifestyle of middle class Americans is “kinda fucked” then going from “Turbo Mega Fucked” to “Regular Fucked” just doesn’t feel like a huge improvement.

4 Likes

One theory I have is that we are seeing a sort of crisis of faith in American civil religion.

Conservatives have latched onto MAGA as a way to understand the world and steer them through this crisis.

Everyone else has had their faith shaken by Trump and the pandemic and are in a state of political anomie. They’re searching for a reason to believe. Biden’s problem is that he is a competent politician who doesn’t give people that reason. And there’s no plausible replacement who can inspire a Great Reawakening in our civil religion.

2 Likes

Well, they can’t really talk about that because the obvious fix for it is something that the vast majority of Democrats don’t want to do.

Which one of you wrote this?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/05/29/us-economy-inflation-sentiment/

Yeah this is a good point and trying to protect against these worst outcomes is a pretty big economic cost.

Like people on the lower end of economy start out where literally anything bad happens and they and family are homeless with little option to mitigate that risk.

Then moving up you just earn right to more and more fancier ways to mitigate more risks

Car insurance
Health insurance
Renters insurance
Home owners insurance
Flood insurance
Life insurance
Disability insurance
Professional liability insurance
More Personal liability insurance
Etc
Etc

It would take a massive psychological burden off people if they could just be like “the government has a genuine plan to take care of me or my family if something really bad ever happens”

2 Likes

I’m getting really sick of products with tons of extra paper/plastic to hide their shrinkflation.