Is it Time for a Domestic Terrorism Law?

According to this guy, yes:

Sounds like the Biden administration wants some kind of law along these lines. To me it’s not clear what exactly needs to be criminalized that isn’t already illegal. For the capitol hill rioters, many of them can be thrown in prison for decades with existing laws. But this is Schiff’s bill that he introduced after the Texas wal mart shooting.

Do you support a domestic antiterror law?
  • Yes, we need additional antiterror laws (please specify which ones in thread)
  • Don’t need more laws but we need to create a dedicated agency to deal with domestic terror
  • We don’t need any new laws or agencies
0 voters

3 Likes

Seems part of the US turning their recent foreign policy strategies against its own population. So a way to criminalise membership and support of ‘terrorist’ organisations, which then begs greater surveillance and seizure powers (or existing powers being available with much less oversight). Plus a way to get additional funding, but then that’s always the case.

4 Likes

Fuck no, we already have laws against shooting, bombing, kidnapping etc. Abolish the word terrorist while we’re at it I’m so sick of hearing it

5 Likes

They tried to classify Antifa as a terrorist group under Trump already.

Last thing we need is for the Biden administration to set a precedent to make Proud Boys a terror group because four years from now basically every liberal movement and activist group will be considered terroristic.

1 Like

We already have it. It’s called the Patriot Act.

we do need a new law to deal with the antifas, forgot to add that option to the poll

Isn’t the argument against a domestic terrorism law the same as the argument against hate crime legislation?

Yes and I don’t disagree that hate crime legislation can be dangerous, but still mostly that’s being superficial. There’s no NSA, no military courts, no secret renditions, basically no police state around hate crimes.

yall tellin me that terrism is LEGAL right now?!?

1 Like

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1349778789425958915

Bill Scher, Liberal champion of the NSA

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/05/the-liberal-case-for-the-nsa-107213

Super lame article too.

I am always skeptical of any sort of criminal act qualifier. I am not a fan of hate crime statutes because I think that the crime should determine the punishment, not a modifier. It doesn’t mean I think hate crimes are real, it’s just that I think they are already crimes.

So I share the skepticism here unless there is a precise need this categorization is needed besides crushing civil liberties.

I certainly think domestic terrorism needs to be policed much better but I feel like the crime statute we have now cover it. But I can be convinced.