IQ and voting

By all accounts Miller is an idiot who can barely put PowerPoint slides together.

Ok fair enough. I don’t know, they seem to be touted as the not totally dumb but evil wing of the Trump brigade.

PowerPoint skill is a very poor indicator of intelligence, please tell me you understand this.

Erm… I’m a software developer and I probably wouldn’t be able to put together a decent slide deck if you put a gun to my head.

2 Likes

I know (online) a very successful sports bettor and college maths lecturer who keeps manual records of everything because she’s never been able to use Excel.

5 Likes

Pretty sure it’s only math acumen that he’s concerned about. Coincidentally, that happens to be the subject he excels at

Is it OK if I convert it to a PDF, email it to you, and call it a “deck”?

Fixed.

1 Like

Can we dispense with this notion that he “excels” at math?

https://twitter.com/standupmaths/status/1313055411285774336

1 Like

There are so many other tests I’d like to see than IQ. A test that measures one’s empathy for instance

It’s maddening that if you show people a picture of a lion you can’t get near 100% consensus on it. Maybe 60% will agree and the rest who hate cats will say it’s a bear with a weird haircut

4 Likes

I like the idea of the “representative line of code”, originating on www.thedailywtf.com, which is that under certain circumstances you can take the measure of a developer from a single line of his or her code. In a similar vein, I once personally experienced a “representative question” from a colleague who popped his head over the divider between our desks and casually asked “what is the maximum number of columns SQL server will support?”. Somewhat taken aback, I responded “I suspect it’s 1024, but quite honestly, in 15 years I’ve never had to find out”. Upon further investigation, it transpired that, sure enough, he was trying to model rows as columns, and this was not a junior colleague.

1 Like

Big companies are all over this BTW. We score our staff on all kinds of metrics, and we specifically flag HPAs as a problem to deal with. Can you guess what HPA stands for?

Well shit I hope no one judges my intelligence based on the times I specifically initialize variables despite knowing the interpreter/compiler will do it automatically

Lol, do you honestly think that is comparable?

No i was just making a bad joke apparently. Lots of i=0 in my code

1 Like

I stand corrected. It’s his strongest subject. How’s that?

Something took me down a rabbit hole one day and I read how he challenged a Jeopardy Champion to beat him on a math test. He was made a fool of when the guy suggested they compare ALL SAT scores. He pointed out constant DS misspellings and said he wouldn’t beat him on the reading and writing portion any time soon. I thought it was a sick burn lol

1 Like

Although, I have come across the “overzealous commenter”, whose code looks something like this:

//Declare i to be an integer
int i;

//Initialise i to zero
i = 0;

Invariably, there will, of course, be some totally indecipherable, write-only, spaghetti code somewhere in the middle of all this which contains no comments whatsoever. But hey, at least we’re not totally lost, we know what i is.

1 Like

This is a shocker, coding jokes usually land.

5 Likes