Investing (aka GameStonk and other gambling events)

Murdoch was the amoral somewhat right-wing investor, Ailes was the believer whose vision the investments underwrote.

1. Reagan ainec

The impact of Fox News goes beyond what they did at Fox. It also demonstrated a business model for ad driven news media where you chop up the days news into reality TV that confirms the biases of your base audience for ratings. The sad truth is that the media is mostly a for profit business, and for profit businesses tend to imitate the other businesses in their category who are creating the best financial results.

At this point TV news is a product category like ice cream with many flavors but ultimately a very similar product. Even NPR is messaging to its core audience of 40-60 year old college educated white women who will donate large amounts of money.

1 Like

In theory, perhaps, but in reality people need access. This is America, as we’ve already proven, we’re not going to do enough to cut people enough checks to get them through this.

We will make a minor improvement, and the loopholes will become obvious and things will function about as they used to.

I don’t mean this to be a smartass to you, take it as directed at the system, but this is about as likely as giving every child a free pony.

Yep, the “God” is the billionaires who fund political campaigns for both parties.

Same thing in KC - I moved away in 1996.

Yeah this is crazy. I haven’t watched local news since I moved out of my parents’ house and now I’m seeing it because I’m at my mom’s a lot.

So, unlike most people here, my funds are not in a 401k and I have no long term horizon that dictates incremental investments despite market condition. In fact, my main goal is buying a house. Having some cash but limited retirement funds and not owning a home probably puts me in a pretty atypical situation, or at least the situation of someone saving for an initial down payment. In fact, for the last couple of years the stock market has been too high for me, bond returns too law, and I’ve been hoping real estate would tank so I can buy a place.

I would expect the RE market in Cal and NY and WA, well nationwide really, to take a massive hit. I would expect foreclosures and walkways and such, probably more than 2008, and would be surprised if the typical $700k house near me isn’t selling for $500k a year from now. When do we get data re March home sales? Any panic selling or other anecdotes? The S&P 500 is nice, but as a prospective buyer the RE market is what I’ll be riding.

2 Likes

April 21 from the National Association of Realtors. The data is released every month around that time for the previous month. The only anecdotal data I have is from one realtor who believes the correct strategy for selling is to wait it out, as price isn’t what’s stopping buyers from home shopping right now. I’d imagine it may take a year or more for home prices to bottom out if you’re waiting for foreclosures to flood the market.

I was also looking to buy this summer but that was before covid happened. I’m probably staying at my current place now though which will be a bit awkward cause it’s my girlfriend’s house and she’s moving out (relationship status tbd). But waiting a year would probably make the difference between making sacrifices or getting everything I want so it’s probably worth it.

1 Like

If I was a trader, I would be short like crazy right now. There is going to be a ton of panic as the deaths start to pile up next week. This is not something you can price in to the market, IMO. I guess we’ll see. The Fed will keep doing whatever they can do to keep the markets up, and that’s what the tricky part is with betting against the market.

The Fed already emptied the clip. There is literally nothing else they can do.

Oh boy, I have done this before.

Not recommended

1 Like

I’m in the same position, mostly. Maybe not so atypical.

Me too hilariously.

I left a little cash in my etrade account to mess around with after cashing out all my work stocks. Don’t really care if I lose the money, what should I toss it in to take this position?

SPY puts

Any easy ways to hedge against inflation everyone? I was talked out of it by a friend last week, but it seems like 4% is only the beginning. Gold ETFs? Some sort of bet on the euro or yuan?

No way.

They’ve exhausted interest rates and the traditional tools that were used in the past, but their options are basically unlimited if there is a political will behind it. They recently started buying corporate bond ETFs for the first time ever. They could literally print money and buy bonds directly from companies or buy equity ETFs to prop up the market.

1 Like

European governments are also passing huge stimulus and taking inflationary measures with their central banking system. It is unlikely that US dollar will inflate without similar effects in other currencies as policies will be coordinated or otherwise subject to a game of chicken where no one wants their exports to be more expensive in the face of a global recession. So I don’t think other currencies are a great idea.

Gold, stocks, or inflation protected bonds are the best long term hedge, with gold probably being the best pure inflation play if you think stocks will continue to decline. It is crazy to me that gold has continued to decline even in the face of all of the fed action and government stimulus of the last month, I can’t explain it with any rationale that I would be confident is correct. People talk about investors (e.g. oil rich ones) needing to liquidate gold to meet other obligations or a flight to the safety of the US dollar due to general fear but I don’t know if I really buy into either one wholeheartedly.

So maybe you don’t want to take my advice

Crypto

2 Likes

FWIW, I expect single-family to be much less hurt than in the last recession. The demand for single family doesn’t go away like it does for retail, etc. Instead, it’s about putting the asset with an investor who has the capital and inclination to own it. Traditionally, that’s an owner-occupant, and there aren’t great alternatives. Banks don’t want to own houses, and other institutional owners have been leery too. These days though, lots of institutional capital is ready to buy up single family if it gets too low for fundamentals. Blackstone and a bunch of others will be perfectly happy
to plow $20 billion into SFBay houses if the values fall 20%.